lube!

Got questions? We got answers....
trailcutter

lube!

Post by trailcutter »

reccomended fuel ratio for 2003 -200.........using motul 800?...cheers

tourqe over rpm.................. technical riding!!
pain is inevitable,,,,,,,suffering is optional.

kdx 200-2003
klx 450r-2009
ktm 625 sxc-06
flhrc 2011
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

I run 32:1 in all three of our 2 stroke bikes.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

trailcutter

Post by trailcutter »

cheers ,,,thanks gents ,,,,,,thats what i,m running ,,,,,,,,,,its crisp and clean , but a little smokey,,,,,,,,,,,

been a long time since i ran a ratio that rich , normally 50;1 on the mango,s(ktm)300 ive had , and they have been pretty smokeless in comparison.
Last edited by trailcutter on 02:26 pm Dec 30 2010, edited 1 time in total.

kdx 200-2003
klx 450r-2009
ktm 625 sxc-06
flhrc 2011
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Wow, this doesn't open a can of worms, does it? :mrgreen:

Personally, I run Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1 with Chevron Premium 91 octane fuel. I can hear people now saying how I'm crazy for running that ratio, using that oil, using Chevron/Premium/pump gas. Whatever. :roll: It works well for my KDX and that is all that matters.

Now, some say 50:1 is fine, others 40:1. Use what you feel comfortable with, stick with it, and jet your bike properly. You will never get a definitive answer as there are way too many variables and way too many opinions based in fact, ignorance, stupidity, or any combination thereof!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
trailcutter wrote:cheers ,,,thanks gents ,,,,,,thats what i,m running ,,,,,,,,,,its crisp and clean , but a little smokey,,,,,,,,,,, been a long time since i ran a ratio that rich , normally 50;1 on the mango,s ive had , and they have been pretty smokeless in comparison.
50:1, 40:1, etc. have nothing to do with the mixture being lean or rich. It can affect it just a tad but not much and not like changing your jets.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
trailcutter

Post by trailcutter »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:Wow, this doesn't open a can of worms, does it? :mrgreen:

Personally, I run Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1 with Chevron Premium 91 octane fuel. I can hear people now saying how I'm crazy for running that ratio, using that oil, using Chevron/Premium/pump gas. Whatever. :roll: It works well for my KDX and that is all that matters.

Now, some say 50:1 is fine, others 40:1. Use what you feel comfortable with, stick with it, and jet your bike properly. You will never get a definitive answer as there are way too many variables and way too many opinions based in fact, ignorance, stupidity, or any combination thereof!
aware of infinite variables, re; oil seal/ bang 4 buck / carbon/ etc .........testing the water so to speak.......cheers

kdx 200-2003
klx 450r-2009
ktm 625 sxc-06
flhrc 2011
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

50: is richer than 40:1 since you have more gas for the same volume.
but yeah changing your jets is what u need to do and jet for whatever ratio u choose
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I like 50:1

Bike's much more peppy
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Take your pick. As long as it's jetted right for the mix you have, and it's at least as much as the oil manufacturers recommendation, you should be golden.

It's been shown before that a 2 stroke engine will make more power with more oil, up to a point. This is of course dependent on maintaining the correct A/F mixture as you increase the oil concentration. I believe the point of diminishing returns was somewhere around 18:1.

I personally run 40:1, mostly because it's easy to mix. 16 ounces per 5 gallons. So we mix 5 gallons at a time and get 2 batches from one quart, with no odd amount left over. Seems a silly reason to choose a mix, i'm sure. However, it made sense and after jetting the bike on that mix I can't see the benefit from changing mix and needing to play with the jetting again.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:

It's been shown before that a 2 stroke engine will make more power with more oil, up to a point. This is of course dependent on maintaining the correct A/F mixture as you increase the oil concentration. I believe the point of diminishing returns was somewhere around 18:1.

Yep. Especially inline engines where the oil helps create a seal between the different cylinders in the crankcase. I'm not sure where the point of diminishing returns is, but I have run as much as 4 pints to 5 gallons. I run 3 pints to 5 gallons in my 4 cylinder Mercurys. The "classic" mix for the old Champion Hot Rods was 1 pint per gallon and some people still run that mixture.

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:
I personally run 40:1, mostly because it's easy to mix. 16 ounces per 5 gallons. So we mix 5 gallons at a time and get 2 batches from one quart, with no odd amount left over. Seems a silly reason to choose a mix, i'm sure. However, it made sense and after jetting the bike on that mix I can't see the benefit from changing mix and needing to play with the jetting again.
Doesn't seem silly to me. I run 32:1 for pretty much the same reason. 1 pint oil to 4 gallons of gas. Easy. Plus, if I have some gas left in a can and I want to top off that can, the 5 gallon can will just about always hold 2 more gallons of gas and a half pint of oil if I fill up a bike first.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

read A. Graham Bell's book on 2 stroke tuning, he has done dyno testing and found that castrol mineral oil at ratios lower than 20:1 actually came out far better power wise than fully synth at 50:1, the book is 30 years old but not a lot has changed. obviously the benefits of fully synth are lack of carbon deposits, but perhaps think about adding an additive like activ8 friction reducer or whack up the mineral!

as said in the book, some people seem to take pride in running stupid ratios like 60:1 or 80:1 i would much rather have a combustible lube in my crank running a much higher ratio and getting a bit of coke on the piston crown (for short, i would rather more top end rebuilds) than crap lubricity from fully synth at a higher ratio resulting in more full engine rebuilds

but yeah, its basically more top end rebuilds VS more bottom end rebuilds, followed by whos friction reducer sounds better.... some people say 1 thing, others say the other, ive read up on it, so i should be using mineral at 20:1, but i use fully synth with activ8 friction reducer so who am i to say :roll: EACH TO THEIR OWN! JUST DO AS THE OIL SAYS!!!
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Amsoil synthetic 32:1 in alll my 2 strokes.works good for me don't hve any crazy theories or supporting evidence for why its better than the others.always liiked amsoil in my cars so I run it in my atvs.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Golden Spectro, 12 ounces in 4 gallons.

No reason at all.

I like the bottle, I like the smell. I run the same mix in the weedwacker and saw.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy