Trail Tech Computers

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Trail Tech Computers

Post by jafo »

I'm looking at getting an enduro computer. I was wondering what model I should order it for. KX or KDX? How do they work? I looked at the site and seen they opperate off of sensors but where do the sensors go? Are they matched to the gearing of the bike or somth'n?

Jon.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have one (Trailtech). Get the one for whatever bike your forks are from. The sensor is a magnetic pickup that mounts to your brake caliper. They give you a magnetic bolt that replaces one of your rotor mounting bolts. You measure your tire circumference and punch that into the computer in millimeters, and as if by magic, it figures out your speed and distance travelled. I like mine, but I just use it for a speedo and odometer. I'm not so sure I'd like it for actual Enduro events ( I don't compete mind you), because it seems a little counter intuitive (to me) to do things like change your distance settings and stuff. For the price though, I like it a lot. The other electronic Enduro computers I've seen cost hundreds, instead of just $70. I also have mine mounted in an aluminum bracket to work with my Scotts damper setup. The stock mounting bracket can be used if you don't have a damper.

HTH,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for the info Mike. Very helpful.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you are going to compete in enduros you will need a clock and jart chart to go with the trailtech. Learn how to do resets and recalibration on the fly or you will burn up lots of time trying to figure it out on the trail during a race. That's why full blown enduro computers are so pricy. The racer programs the whole route sheet into the machine, presses one button when the row before his starts, then presses one button for each checkpoint entered for the free zones. From there on he just watches the timer for seconds too early or seconds too late and adjust riding speed accordingly.

My riding buddy uses a Trail tech. It is really great for speed and odo readings.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Skipro, I was reading an article about scoring and strategies during enduros. Kind of a how to on time managment and what checkpoints to look for and the different checkpoints you run into. Very interesting. There is definitley more going on than just riding during enduros for sure. This enduro would be my first that I'm looking at riding. I noticed the scroll chart too. So your right I would definitley need one of those for sure.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you are just starting out in enduro's here are some tips:
1. Don't worry about timekeeping. Either 4 or 5 riders leave every minute. They all have the minute on the front numberplate with a letter so the scorers know who is who. Talk to the guys on your minute, explain it's your first enduro season, and let them lead you around the course. If you get seperated from the guys on your minute, just look at the numbers on the bikes that pass you or that you pass. You should be able to judge within a couple of minutes or so if you are on your minute, too slow or too fast.
2. Pace yourself. Most enduros are long; 80 miles or more. By mile 50 you are in survival mode, asking yourself just what the HELL made me think this would be fun?@!
3. Drink plenty of water. Start 2 days before the race hydrating yourself. Keep drinking during the race. Carb up the night before on pasta. Take glucose with you on the trial. I buy those little squeeze tubes of frosting, cut the tip off and tape several to my bars. After a crash or an extemely difficult section, I squeeze one of these down my throat for an almost instant sugar rush of energy.
4. Let anyone coming up behind you pass as soon as you are able. This type of race is against you and the clock, not the other riders. Having someone dog behind you causes you to loose concentration. Later, when you pass his sorry butt while he's picking himself out of some bush, you can slow down and thank him for letting you pass.
5. Burning a check (arriving early) results in 5 times more penalty points than arriving late. It's better to be 4 minutes and 59 seconds late than 1 second early, points wise.
6. Don't quit. No matter how tired you get, finish the race. The only reason not to finish are: you houred out, your bike broke, you broke. You may be begging for mercy and want to just lie down and give up, but all that goes away when the man at the check says, that's it! Ride slow through the pits or you will be disqualified. Another man will slip something into your glove. Don't lose that. It is your finishing pin. You earned it and most likely will be the only reward you will receive for the race. It will become the topic of conversation for the next month with anyone stupid enough to stop by your desk at work and ask what'sup? When you get back to your truck, you will be part of the gang. Anyone finishing on a KDX will be admired. You did what they did using the latest technology KTM or what ever they ride. Bask in the glory of your success and talk smack on how easy the course was this year. (as if you've been riding this event since it was first run.)
7. Get your new friends phone #'s and give them yours. YOu finished an enduro and they know you can ride well or else you wouldn't have made it the whole way. You will be invited to go riding with them some day. Private property, secret trails, that sort of stuff.
8. Buy the event T-shirt. They are reasonable, about $10. Every time you break it out, it reminds you of the great day you had.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Slipro you just made me REALLY want to ride an enduro :supz: :supz: :partyman:
03 220R
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

Slipro
Slipro...

I like that! :grin:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jeff! Long time since we heard from you! Going to Prospect with CC this week?

Slipro:
I've been called worse. Skislo was the best in my opinion.

BTW out of berries. Send more! They made a great second pie and also great added to lemonaid when the weather warmed up.
Jerry

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Skipro, thats some really sound advice. Thanks a bunch. I have until Sept. 11 to get ready for this race. I was going to start running the track at the near by school but my knee and stupidity decided otherwise. I'd like to drop about 10 to 15 lbs. before I head off on this little adventure. That alone would help me tremendously. I'll keep that icing tube in mind. Good idea..... but what flavor? :lol: I drink nothing bur water anymore, I learned that on a poker run earlier this year. Got my Camelback ready to go too. I'm going to look into some vented pants and jersey also.

I'm sure I'll see some carnage on the trail. I seen plenty on that poker run. I'm getting kind of excited to go. I've been riding everyweekend. I'm going tomorrow, bad knee and all. I won't get to crazy until I feel I can trust my knee.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

During my illustrious one race enduro career, when my line started, there were four of us. When we started, I saw one rider for two turns before he was long gone, and I beat the other two riders to the first turn and never saw them again. If you are wanting to just ride with others on your minute, make sure you can ride with them speed-wise. They may blow you away or slow you down.

The race I rode in had a couple of resets to allow people that were on time to take a break. I just kept on trucking at the first one and made up some good time. I was woried about houring out. I actually was on time at the check after the first reset.

I loved it, and I will be back again one day.

Good luck!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

jafo:
I mix just a little Snapple in with my water; maybe 10%, just so it tastes good and I am encouraged to drink it. I prefer the Kiwi/Strawberry flavor.

Frosting flavor? Green of course! :lol:

Like Jason said, resets are great for making up time as well as free times. Since he was between the fast guy on his minute and the slow guys on his minute, sounds like he was about right!!! It's amazing how 300+ guys can all be riding the same race and for almost all of it, you never see anyone!!
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

After 15 minutes, I was wondering where in the heck is everyone else? I loved it!

I love that Kiwi Strawberry flavor.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

September 11? Would that be the Rockford, Alabama enduro?

I'm planning on that one, too. I've never ridden at Rockford but I have run the Clanton one, which is right next door. I am planning to prepare as I do for a Clanton run - it has a lot more to do with physical conditioning than anything else. Clanton is TOUGH and I expect Rockford is, too.
It took me three attempts to finish Clanton. Physical failure, not mechanical.
You cannot be in good enough physical condition. My last run at Clanton I finished with just a wee bit of steam left.

Karl
Theodore, AL
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

No, it's in Missouri.

I'm not sure I'll make that one now after yesterday's ride. The rocks at Chadwick chewed me up and spit me out yesterday. I got lower back problems and twisted my bad knee on a hill from hell. Got up the hill though with help from my riding buddy. I plan on staying off the bike until I'm 100%. I can't ride to my full potential injured. So common sence has came over me for the time being. It'll be good time to catch up on things around the house and my bike maintenance also. I need new tires also and it'll give me time to get my trailtech computer installed and familiarize myself with it.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Hey!!! Got my computer and it's dash mount yesterday and now it's on the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's realy very simple, not as bad as I thought it would be. Pretty easy to install too. Now to get this knee better so I can get out and ride!

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Jafo did you get the billet housing for it or did you use the mounting hardware it comes with?
03 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Oh I got the billet housing also. No way I was going to leave it wide open to a tree limb or worse. I got it all from the same guy on E-bay. Everything was around $140 I think thats shipping also.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I have a line on a used ICO checkmate enduro computer for $150.00 I'm torn between the Trail Tech (nice all around unit but not exactly a real enduro computer) Or poppoing for the hard core ICO.

What do you think?
03 220R
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If you don't get that checkmate for $150. Let me know. I'd buy it, and I already have one. Seriously, let me know if it's available.
Jerry