Harescramble Prep

Got questions? We got answers....
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Harescramble Prep

Post by wbdisco »

I was wondering what you guys do to prep for Harescrambles? I have never raced one, and most of my riding experience has been just trail riding on the weekends with friends. My brother and his friend have been talking to me about getting into a couple of races this coming year, but i have no clue as how to prepare for them.

I guess I am just needing some info on prep for the bike and me. I am in the middle of a fork conversion that hopefully will be done in the next week or so. Most of the races will be here in Tennessee and maybe Alabama and Georgia. So what are you guys thoughts for a newbie racer?

Brad
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
exbee

Post by exbee »

Hey, I asked the same thing last spring, here's the link to the thread:

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8754&start=0

Hope it helps
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

yep that helps, thanks, next time i will use the search button
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
exbee

Post by exbee »

No problem, I had a lot of fun in my first scramble although it was quite a challenge. Other than my lack of skills, my forks were the biggest problem, but if you're doing the conversion now you should be all set...just make sure your springs aren't too stiff. Not sure what you've got for terrain down there but the heavy springs I had installed were just too much for the rocky terrain we have here...they were deflecting off of every rock and root not to mention I was only working with the stock forks to begin with. I have improved as a rider a fair bit since then (and installed softer springs) so I'm looking forward to trying it again.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Please don't underestimate how physically demanding a HS or Enduro can be. When I'm getting ready for the season I put in a lot of time on the bike. If I can't do 2 hours at speed, I know it is going to be a tough day. Doing other endurance training is helpful, but nothing puts callouses in all the right places like riding.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

well I was going to start doing some extra running to help me from getting too winded.

As far as bike prep, do you guys do a complete and thorough check of the bike? I was thinking about just routine maintenance, but I didn't know of any extra stuff that should be checked.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

As far as bike prep, do you guys do a complete and thorough check of the bike? I was thinking about just routine maintenance, but I didn't know of any extra stuff that should be checked.
If you are riding 3 or 4 days a week for 2+ hours each time you'll be maintaining your bike as you need. It does take a lot of time to be prepared for these races to the level that you can go, have a lot of fun, and finish with dignity.

I've shown up to a race with a giant chunk missing out of a rear tire, the cord was showing. Fortunately it made it without going flat.

I usually have to start buying chains and sprockets and tires and linkage bearings and stuff in January for the season starting in March.

Or you can just give the bike a good going over and go have fun. A 2 or 3 hour race on saturday is no different than a ride with your buds.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

For the bike: I don't have to do too much to it as I have already completely rebuilt it and I probably overdo maintenance on it. I'll be pulling the linakage apart before long to inspect / grease / replace (if necessary). Other than that the bike should be ready to go right now.

For me: I drink lots of beer and get my teenage son to do the racing. :partyman: :grin: :wink:
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have found that, if this is your first attempt at racing, a large part of conditioning is mental. I recommend that you try not to think about "winning". Think about finishing the event. Do not try to get the holeshot and run away with the race, because you won't. Maybe give it 85-90% effort to the first turn, then notch it back to 75% for the remainder of the race. If you have energy left on the last lap (doubtful), expend all of it on that lap and pick off as many riders as you can.
Drink a lot of water for a day or 2 before the event. And, of course, look your bike over carefully and check evey nut and bolt you can find.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

One thing I use to help fight dehydration is eating bananas. I'll eat two a day starting two days before a hard, long ride. My rides are like races as I'm always pushing myself to keep up with the faster guys. Anyways, I also start hydrating and drinking lots of water and/or Gatorade at the same time. I don't eat anything unusual from my normal diet before a serious ride either. Trust me, you don't want to try a new Mexican restaurant the night before or the morning of a hard ride/race! Make sure to have a hydration pack with you during the race and maybe even an energy/candy bar.

Get as much seat time in as you can. Work on the fundamentals and especially your turns! Prep like you plan to for race day, and if you have a loop you normally ride, ride it for 2 hours straight with no breaks. That will give you a decent idea on your conditioning. If you can do it with no problem then, on a different day, go for 2.5 hours and then 3. It will help if you have a buddy (about the same speed as you) who plans to race as well. You both can help push the other by riding/training together. Work on your cardio. Biking and jogging are good ideas.

Race day.

Stretch out before any big ride/race. It will help get your muscles ready for the assault they are about to endure. Keep loose. Don't pressure yourself to holeshot or be in the lead. You will see some riders that charge hard out of the gate later as they run out of energy and you will pass them with ease. :mrgreen: Pace yourself. Ride within your abilities. Don't push yourself to the point that you are at the limits of your skills. It is better to ride slower and stay on your bike than to go faster and have a few get-offs. Just a simple dropping of your bike will sap your energy very quickly having to pick it back up. Wrecking can cause an injury that just nags you the whole race or ends your day with a trip to the emergency room.

Bike prep.

Just normal maintenance should be just fine. If anything is marginal/questionable on the bike then replace it now. Have your bike jetted properly for the conditions/elevation you will be racing at. Make sure you have some decent barkbusters as minimum extra equipment. Getting your hand hit one time by a branch/rock/etc. one time and your day could be done! Radiator guards and a skid plate might be needed depending on your local terrain. Fresh tires are not a necessity but would be a good idea. Make sure you bring enough fuel to finish the race. Depending on your bike, how you ride, and the length of the race you might need to refuel at some point.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

sounds good to me, thanks for the advice. I have a while to prep but I definitely didn't want to go out there without any preparation. All i hope to do is finish and I will be happy.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
gregp

Post by gregp »

If this is your first event, see if you can find a friend to ride it with you. It takes some of the pressure off, as in the back of your mind, you know that you have someone there to help. Just be aware that after the start, you may not see each other until the end - if all goes well.
Also, I recommend *not* borrowing gas from someone in the pits. You will not know what you are getting, and they are your *competitors* :wink:
In all truthfulness, I have found most folks in the pits to be very friendly and helpful. The A or AA riders, going for points and championships, not so much. They are just so focused!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

well i would be going with my little brother, he has raced 3 harescrambles and a few motos but this was like 8 years ago. I have only had my bike for about a year and before that it had been 10 years since i had ridden much. My brother just got his new bike a few months back but it had been about 4 years before that for him. I hate to say it, but we are always competitive. But he does have youth and some race experience on his side.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
bigene
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by bigene »

on my first harescramble, we lined up in rows of bikes waiting for the start and i looked at the guy next to me to say good luck cause we were talking in the pits with each other b-4 the race and i was getting tips from him cause he was "experienced". he had forgot his goggles and gloves back at his truck and he had no barkbusters either!! up here in minnesota the first addition to a bike is barkbusters (nuttin but trees here). needless to say i had alot more fun than he had that day. i'll never forget it. just have fun, drink water (get a camelback fer sure) and race like you have to go to work the next day!!
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

well i have a camelback, and bark busters, skid plate and the usual riding gear except chest protector. I had been looking at getting one but got caught up in the fork conversion process.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)