The plastic block in the reed cage?

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

Post by gregp »

I would leave the plastic block in, if you are running the stock cage, even if you have Boyeson Power Reeds. It is designed to smooth the flow. Without it, I would guess that the flow will be disrupted as it goes through the cage, and enters a large square-ish cavity...
JMO.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:There are some tricks that can be done in a stock cage, but none that will amount to the difference of installing different reeds, and possibly removing stops due to stiffer reeds.....or moreso an entirely different cage of different design. Mods done to increase intake area at the cage will generally result in a sucked reed at some point. However, please enlighten us. You seem to be a 2-cycle expert yet ask questions that would contradict that. We're all here to help and discuss, but don't like being told things point blank about how things are done.
AMEN!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:There are some tricks that can be done in a stock cage, but none that will amount to the difference of installing different reeds, and possibly removing stops due to stiffer reeds.....or moreso an entirely different cage of different design. Mods done to increase intake area at the cage will generally result in a sucked reed at some point. However, please enlighten us. You seem to be a 2-cycle expert yet ask questions that would contradict that. We're all here to help and discuss, but don't like being told things point blank about how things are done.
i do know that, im just yet to actually take it apart, so at the moment i have absolutely no clue on what part of the design he is talking about modifying so i made an assumption and perhaps i was wrong. "plastic block in reed cage" is pretty open to interpretation.

and what i don't like is when people assume other's are idiots or absolutely refuse to think outside of the box, there are so many people around that will swear their way is right and there is no other way around anything, same as those that swear on other people's words without ever looking into something themselves. yes ok, i don't work for a 2-stroke tuning company but i have the mind and ability to look at something, figure out how it works, and how it could be improved, in which EVERYTHING on a motorbike can be improved upon, fucks sake literally almost every bike in existence today is based on over 100 year old designs, and lord knows how manufactures like to take shortcuts to increase production and turnover offering us a lesser product, in which 20 minutes with a file on a few pieces could completely change the output of a bike for the better. admittedly without flow testing equipment a lot of this is just stabbing in the dark, but there are many MANY things that can just be looked at and changed for the better due to major manufacturers flaws :p im pretty certain they don't treat their motoGP bikes the same way as they do our KDX's

anyway, ramble over. lets just get on with it!!!!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Didn't read the whole thread, but I'll add this, what's even more annoying is know it all that don't want to listen to others that have ALREADY experienced similar situation and give good advice that would save you from experiencing engine failure, lots of trouble and money.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

I have never understood why everybody on bike forums has to be so long in the tooth. May i please say 1 last time, I am not stupid, I do have the ability to take in what others have experienced, but those others are not me, 99% of bike riders on the internet have absolutely no clue what they are on about, so apologies for tarring you all with the same brush but to keep myself on the safe side I consider everybody's word on the internet as far from gospel as possible. So many people on so many forums have a tendency to follow that forum's "forum mods" and then to just stick the jets in they are told by other people, neverminding the fact that there are numerous differences between 1 engine/carb/airbox on the production line to the next and then forgetting to compensate for atmospheric conditions...

So yes, I will describe in detail my experiences just the same so others can learn, but I will never ask or expect someone to copy or listen to my word outright unless it is the stupidest question "where does the brake fluid go" but then even that could be wrong, someone could have fitted an aftermarket master cylinder and re-routed it elsewhere.

So please, just live and let live, I don't believe everything any of you guys say completely, and I don't expect you guys to treat me any different, but at least I don't go out of my way to directly attack anyone for working under their own initiative. Just because you haven't heard of me doesn't mean I don't have a clue what I am doing.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Peace Peace...but to be honest i agree that not to believe everybody and anybody on the forum that tells you what to do...but i am pretty certain that some of the guys advice here in this site is true. they have years of experince. this site here in my opinion is to share, discuss and educate. i personally have gain alot from this site. without which i couldnt properly thought that kx fork conversion, shim mod, stator rewind and many more could be done by myself. nobody is stupid, but if one dont listen to good advice then hs is...i am not saying you but just quoting.
A true KDX customizer!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

theres a stator re-wiring guide floating about here?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is SOME variance between bikes but not enough to call out for a completely different setup. Everything has to be tweaked for each individual bike.

This is the problem when someone asks what jets they should use and you try to help them. You want to get them in the ballpark so they can tweak from there. Otherwise, they might try something way to lean and seize their bike.

I don't think the Mod's have to be called out on this.... if you want to modify things no one else feels a need too.... please do! And report back with any results. If you are that on the edge of performance... then you should be tuning for the pro's. It is not that critical for me and I don't think it is really that critical for most KDX riders. Most riders cannot use what is available at the throttle 95% of the time.

I also think you make a big mistake thinking that 99% of riders on this forum know nothing about their bikes and how they operate. I know better....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Every one has there own way of doing things. To say some one is wrong is a touchy subject. For you or I it may be wrong but for them just right. No one on here is the end all and be all bike tuner, but we can all learn from what others have done. The forum seems to be more of a place to bounce ideas around then to say it can or can not be done. If you look at just about any post on here you will find people on both sides of the argument.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

yes, there is a stator rewind thread by inda in this site. search it.
A true KDX customizer!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

it could be stickied :lol: