The SR model curse...

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

just bought both of them seperately on ebay, you need to change more things than the airbox and carb to get it running right after making such large modifications
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

i will not call it modification, rather swapping from the US model to asian model.
A true KDX customizer!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You'd have to at the least re-jet the carb you put on. It's not plug and play after all. Hence your spooge and high fuel consumption.
kwakcrazy

Post by kwakcrazy »

I have a parts manual for the 1992 japanese sr model if any1 needs part numbers.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

can you scan in some of the important pages?

generator / timing
oil pump
carb / airbox
forks

:supz:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

38 bloody quid for the inlet
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

..can of worms!!.........by the time you`ve finnished both you & your credit card will be exhausted! :rolleyes:
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

all i need to buy now is a needle jet :D, and make a blanking plate up for the 2-stroke
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

sight....i am betting you are not going to enjoy the new setup. but to each his own...good luck on the conversion.
A true KDX customizer!!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Other than the fuel supply, Is the SR engine any different than the regular KDX?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Don't know if the porting is different, but I would imagine so.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

no, the porting is the same as the US model. just that there is no exhuast header on the front for aftermarket pipe. got to buy a separate header backet. the top head cover also got a temperture sensor built in. the left side cover resonator has got an extra outlet tube for spoo to drip out thats about all.
A true KDX customizer!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:sight....i am betting you are not going to enjoy the new setup. but to each his own...good luck on the conversion.
surely saying that all the people with E models will be wanting to swap their bikes for my SR model.... more power is always better.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
KDXsg wrote:no, the porting is the same as the US model. just that there is no exhuast header on the front for aftermarket pipe. got to buy a separate header backet. the top head cover also got a temperture sensor built in. the left side cover resonator has got an extra outlet tube for spoo to drip out thats about all.
ive read elsewhere that the timing is different but am yet to check the fiche to see if we have any part number differences

someone has fitted what must be an E model pipe to mine, 1 of the brackets does not fit just above the kickstart lever in which i am going to have to make a bracket to hold them inbetween. can you go into more detail on what you mean by "no exhaust header!"

i have no temperature gauge on my clocks...
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:nah, i could easily tap any old union into the new inlet stub, although i may decide to lose it anyway, god knowhere where im going to get these crazy dual throttle cables from
Mmmhmm. And how to you figure on reconfiguring that pump accurately for the higher quantity of fuel and air? I know the pump on my old 71 has an adjuster, but I don't have any idea how you'd go about figuring how much more it needs to pump. Seems safer to go with premix. Maybe someone more familiar with the SR will know.

cheeky this post got away from me, if you take the side of the pump off there are marks for calibration, easy enough to just jack it up a bit, but i am still preferenced to running pre-mix, less **** to go wrong!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
Dodger wrote:I have a 1989 KDX200F1 - the Australian version of the SR model.

I replaced the tiny 28mm carby with the KDX 35mm carby and it required a new air box boot and inlet rubber to fit the larger carby. I also fitted the air filter fron the "E" series which required a new filter cage etc. This was in the days before EBay, so if I was doing this mod today I would just buy a complete E series air box off EBay. Much easier and probably cheaper as I used new OEM parts at the time! I had to open up the reed block insert with a grinder to match it to the larger inlet rubber, and I also did away with the oil pump and just run pre-mix. You will need to fit the single throttle cable from the E series.

Fitting this carby make a BIG difference in performance! Well worth doing.
(I've now fitted an RB carby so the old KDX goes even better!)

Cheers.

i like this guy better.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

the truth always hurt. :lol: write a ride report after you have done the conversion. meanwhile i go and take some pictures of my SR kdx to show the difference.
A true KDX customizer!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

yeah i definately will, i was going to retard the timing slightly aswell to put the power more up top for a bit more fury, but i'll wait until the carb is on and jetted right 1st :cool: never good to change more than a few things at once!!

cant wait to have the more power, that is why I went back to 2-stroke, 4-stroke power is so linear and boring, I had a drz400s before this, did everything to make it the 'e' model (up the compression, fcr39, bigger header, cams) and it was still boring as hell, sold it for £1300 and bought the KDX for £700 and i'm already far happier, its far more fun even with the girly 28mm carb.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:nah, i could easily tap any old union into the new inlet stub, although i may decide to lose it anyway, god knowhere where im going to get these crazy dual throttle cables from
Mmmhmm. And how to you figure on reconfiguring that pump accurately for the higher quantity of fuel and air? I know the pump on my old 71 has an adjuster, but I don't have any idea how you'd go about figuring how much more it needs to pump. Seems safer to go with premix. Maybe someone more familiar with the SR will know.

cheeky this post got away from me, if you take the side of the pump off there are marks for calibration, easy enough to just jack it up a bit, but i am still preferenced to running pre-mix, less **** to go wrong!
Mmm. Yes, easy enough to turn the pump up. I said that. Not so easy to know if you've turned it up enough to get adequate oil to the main bearings. You could have it cranked to max and it still not be enough to cover the much larger intake system you are using. I guess when you spin a bearing, you'll know you didn't have the pump turned high enough?

Do it!
kwakcrazy

Post by kwakcrazy »

Haven't got a scanner m8, which specific parts you need numbers for?