The SR model curse...

Got questions? We got answers....
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<
moto_psycho wrote:>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<

Mmmhmm. And how to you figure on reconfiguring that pump accurately for the higher quantity of fuel and air? I know the pump on my old 71 has an adjuster, but I don't have any idea how you'd go about figuring how much more it needs to pump. Seems safer to go with premix. Maybe someone more familiar with the SR will know.

cheeky this post got away from me, if you take the side of the pump off there are marks for calibration, easy enough to just jack it up a bit, but i am still preferenced to running pre-mix, less **** to go wrong!
Mmm. Yes, easy enough to turn the pump up. I said that. Not so easy to know if you've turned it up enough to get adequate oil to the main bearings. You could have it cranked to max and it still not be enough to cover the much larger intake system you are using. I guess when you spin a bearing, you'll know you didn't have the pump turned high enough?

Do it!
funk it. pre-mix
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

>|<>QBB<
kwakcrazy wrote:Haven't got a scanner m8, which specific parts you need numbers for?
its not imperative mate, just out of interest really, shouldn't worry
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

I will go for pre mix...i have seem friends pump that fail to work but not to the knowledage of the rider and sized up the whole engine in the middle of trail. you will never know when the 2t pump is going to fail you. no tell tale sign on it.

BTW have you done the USD fork conversion? should go for it if you are serious about riding the kdx.
A true KDX customizer!!
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

as in put USD's on or takin them off?

so far I think the USD's on the KDX are the best ive ridden, bearing in mind over the past 7 years ive been riding i've had

ar50
ts125x
mtx125
dt125r
kl250
rg250
gasgas280
xj400
drz400
dr650
xs750
gsx750f
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Years ago I had a Kawy 350 F5 (?)
It was a single cylinder dual sport, 2-stroke, with the carb down in the RH side cover forward of the clutch. It used a rotary valve intake. Pretty nice bike.

It had an oil pump and tank and dual throttle cables.

I switched to premix for some reason. I don't recall why. On the advise of a buddy I disconnected the oil pump cable but left the pump and tank intact. The pump continued to deliver oil at the "idle" setting. I think I mixed 40:1.

My buddies theory was that the pump delivered oil to the mains and the gas/oil mix lubed the rest.

I flogged that bike for several hard years before I ran it into a parked car and broke my leg ( :shock: )
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are some varying designs on the oil injected bikes. One variation was to have the main bearings sealed off from the crankcase on the inside, oil was then delivered to the main bearings by the pump through a small orifice. If you removed or disabled the pump on these models, the pre-mix had no way of getting to the main bearings to lubricate them. To get around this, you had to modify inside the crankcase to allow premix to contact the main bearings, else risk main bearings seizure.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

yeah but the kdx the oil is injected into the inlet stub before the reeds, so there is no way of keeping the oil pump intact as you have to replace the inlet stub, only other way of keeping it on (basically to avoid making a plate up) would be to take the feed and put it back into the resevoir :p bit pointless but i suppose a worthwhile temporary measure
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

had a far better revolution in the end, keep the oil pump in-situe, fill the reservoir, and pipe it to the front sprocket!

:supz: FREE SCOTTOILER!!!! :supz:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wow, that's gonna be messy, lol.
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

nah, i cut the cable and tucked it away so its only doing an idle speed feed, that and 20w50 engine oil, comes out a nice pace, not enough to messy up the rear wheel like ive had with actual scottoilers and their shitty oil