Bad Smoke with Bad Smell?

Got questions? We got answers....
99sr220
Supporting Member

Bad Smoke with Bad Smell?

Post by 99sr220 »

This has happened to me twice, I've been riding under heavy load, when I've pulled up, I notice a lot of smoke coming from the pipe and it smells pretty bad, definitely not normal exhaust. When the engine off, the smoke keeps waffling out for a little while.

After a decent break, I restart and everything fine. This happened on the weekend and another time about 2 months ago. In between the bike has been fine over all sorts of terrain including long hills. Any ideas what has been happening? Is it just about me working the bike to hard or should I look at repairs?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Head Gasket possibly. If it smells like antifreeze.... that is probably it.

That is the only thing it can burn besides premix.

May want to repack your silencer too...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

carbon build up in the pipe and silencer burning up maybe?
remove them and check it out, easy enough
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

So it's not really a problem, but I should avoid revving too hard for too long, as this is how it's happened both times.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

no just saying it COULD be...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

could be a head gasket as Inda said. Antifreeze burning actually smells kinda good though. Like a sweet smell almost. If it smells kinda nasty, it could be burning transmission oil. That would be crank seals.

So there's three things to check, if you're losing coolant, replace the head gasket. If you're using transmission oil, check the crank seals. Clean the pipe and silencer just for good measure.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sounds like spooge burning in your pipe to me
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

Me and my buddy found some small dunes on a trail ride and decieded to play in them we were pinning it so much that our silencers caught on fire producing some bad smelling smoke. I would say a little lean? :lol:
Did I say riding?
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxtreme wrote:Me and my buddy found some small dunes on a trail ride and decieded to play in them we were pinning it so much that our silencers caught on fire producing some bad smelling smoke. I would say a little lean? :lol:
Was there smoke drifting out of the pipe even after you'd stopped running? This sounds very similar to what I experienced and the first time it happened I was running flat out in deep sand.

I wouldn't have thought so, because the pipe is quite new, but then again I did have a spooge problem for a while.

This seems to be the best explanation, because I'm not losing coolant or trans fluid. It is only a problem I've experienced going really flat out in higher gears, the bike's run normally - I've only noticed the smoke when I stop.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sounds like spooge burning in your pipe to me
+1 What oil were you running when you had a spoo problem? Stock silencer? What year? The 95-up stock silencers do not have packing, but rather a drain.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
kdxtreme
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kdxtreme »

There was fire and smoke. :lol:
Did I say riding?
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

>|<>QBB<
kdxtreme wrote:There was fire and smoke. :lol:
That's impressive!

I'm running on synthetic oil, a local Thai brand with a decent rep. The pipe isn't standard, just a cheap one. Over here when pipes become clogged, they take them apart put them burn all the crap from the packing!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well, you may be there ;)
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project