trying figure out the temp gauge install

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

trying figure out the temp gauge install

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Ok I've got a T fitting from an old nitrous kit when I was running 8an on my 86.it looks as if it will fit but if not summit carries these so that's not a problem.the problem I'm having is which way does coolant flow on these?I wanted to install on the left side right above the kips expansion chamber inline where its easy to see.

I don't care for strips I have the equivalant on my pirahna tank and they're ok but I'd like a more mechanical way to verify temp.anyone know where I can get a temp gauge the size of a fuel pressure gauge?I could swear I've seen them but damned if I can remember where.I'm not above bastardizing or repurposing something else for a gauge so if u got any ideas let me know.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I may be overthinking this or it may not even be possible but is there any way to determine coolant temp based on how many psi the system had built up in it?if so how would I determine this?again idk if its even possible and I may be overthinking this.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Why?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Why?

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I'd like to Monitor actual water temps not the surface of the cylinder like with those strips.just out of curiousity how does the trail tech vapor monitor coolant temps?I seen them on youtube in action and they're not as chinsey as I thought or they look like on ebay.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

But why?

What are you hoping to achieve?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:But why?

What are you hoping to achieve?
He is hoping to monitor his water temp. I think that is pretty straight forward.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|QBB<[/url]
Budget_89KDX wrote:I'd like to Monitor actual water temps not the surface of the cylinder like with those strips.just out of curiousity how does the trail tech vapor monitor coolant temps?I seen them on youtube in action and they're not as chinsey as I thought or they look like on ebay.
It has an in line temp sensor.
Everything on this works good but you cant use the power source from the bike if you want the tach to work properly.
The unit also has a small battery inside that you have to replace
twice a season using just battery power.
Don't look to chinsey to you does it ?

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My trailtech Endurance took a ****. The housing cracked and got moisture in it... toast. Cheap plastic crap.... I even bought the metal protector. Allot of good that did.

Now I am going to look into the Vapor. Once you use one of these systems you feel naked without it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

No looks pretty good but I don't care for the price man and I'd really prefer a mechanical gauge.

And yea I just want to monitor the temps.idk I guess its just me but I don't Care if its a beater with a heater I like to be able to be able monitor (if possible) oil pressure,water temp,voltage,and rpm's.

Is that enough explanation to get any ideas on how to pull this off.like I said the simplest and cleanest way to install and be the most effective imo would be inline anyone know where to get a gauge that's the size of a fuel pressure gauge?
moto_psycho

Post by moto_psycho »

The trailtechs go straight into the coolant pipe so they are pretty good. Why now submerse the strips in the coolant? Dunno if they work in water but you could try taking a rad hose off, bunging the strips in and putting the hose back on with the wires poking out. Otherwise google "COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGE"

http://www.shindypro.com/catalog/each_q ... key25.html looks good

but I still don't see the necessity of installing one, interest yes, but if you are racing the bike its just dead weight, and not many people overland on a 2-stroke!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|QBB<[/url]
Budget_89KDX wrote:No looks pretty good but I don't care for the price man and I'd really prefer a mechanical gauge.

And yea I just want to monitor the temps.idk I guess its just me but I don't Care if its a beater with a heater I like to be able to be able monitor (if possible) oil pressure,water temp,voltage,and rpm's.

Is that enough explanation to get any ideas on how to pull this off.like I said the simplest and cleanest way to install and be the most effective imo would be inline anyone know where to get a gauge that's the size of a fuel pressure gauge?

Where are you going to bolt on the oil pump so you can measure oil pressure ?

kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:No looks pretty good but I don't care for the price man and I'd really prefer a mechanical gauge.

OIL PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: on a 2 stroke!!!!!! :lol: :lol: is the oil pump that thing on the right hand side of the engine with the hose going to is???? i always wondered what that thing was?!! :wink:
rpms...tack?? are you gonna put a 5" tack with shift light on your handlebar?? :lol: that would be so cool, and i bet your pick up 10hp!!!
and just when i thought ive heard it all, i read another one of your post.:lol:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It IS CRUCIAL TO KEEP TRACK OF THE OIL PRESSURE. That may be why the kips broke.
You may want to install the 6" tach on the front fender so you can see it better while your riding, the shift light will be cool also. :lol:
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Hmmm, ok, all kidding aside, I can see why the OP wants to monitor water temp.

A really great book by A. Graham Bell, "Two-Stroke Performance Tuning", suggests that for max hp, water temp as measured when it exits the engine, should not be above about 70 degrees celsius, or 158 degrees fahrenheit.

That got me wondering, especially after I boiled over my 220 a couple of times before I went to a higher pressure cap, hmmm, how hot is it getting, and under what conditions? So I mounted an Autometer mechanical water temp gage on my handlebars, and put a tee in the water line that comes off the top of the cylinder head. The whole thing added maybe 2 pounds to the bike.

The results were eye-opening: Try 270 degrees F, when lugging the bike up a long hill, or putting slowly with my kid. Running fast, on the pipe: about 220 degrees. I'm running stock rads in excellent shape with Devol guards. I'm pretty sure the guards are raising the temps some, and I've brought the max temp down to 260 by tightening up clearances in the water pump. That 2 pound weight penalty of adding a gage is well worth it!

Think I'm giving up some hp with those high temps? Bet your ass; road racers who need every last hp keep the temps well under 200. Next I'm going to play with adding a restriction to outlet fitting on the head to prevent localized boiling, again per A. Graham Bell's book.

So, back to the original post: adding a temp gage is a good idea. It's dumb to guess at the water temp when we can know. It doesn't have to be there permanently, but as a tuning tool, it can be a big help.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My bike runs like a raped ape as it is.... so much more than I can use. I have never overheated either. I don't think I need to worry about it much until it becomes an issue.

I know that they make the heatsink collars for the hose ends too. there are a few products out there that can help if you think heat is affecting the performance of your bike. Some of it is snake oil, some of it may help.

Everybody is different in what they think and look at questions on a personal level... nothing will change that.

There is a tap on the left side rad at the bottom that if you can find a themalcouple to fit... may be a good option.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

If you define overheating as boiling over, then my bike doesn't overheat either, since I put on the higher pressure radiator cap (per suggestions on this site, thanks!). In fact, if you use the "waterless" coolant, it basically won't ever boil, but the engine running at 300 degrees or more because of a radiator problem or somoething can't be good.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but it seemed like some folks were ridiculing the OP's question. I wanted to make the point that it isn't stupid to want to know the water temp.

My bike runs good, too, although since I live at 5000 ft elevation, it could be better. I'm an inveterate tinkerer, always looking to "improve" things even when they are perfectly fine. Current project: an electronic auto-clutch.

BTW Inda, I do really like this site. I've learned a bunch from it.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Lol I didn't mean I wanted to monitor that stuff on the kdx I meant even on a beater (a car) that I dont care about I still want to monitor those in the vehicle.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:Lol I didn't mean I wanted to monitor that stuff on the kdx I meant even on a beater (a car) that I dont care about I still want to monitor those in the vehicle.
Another quote from you :

I'm having is which way does coolant flow on these?I wanted to install on the left side right above the kips expansion chamber inline where its easy to see.

Very interested to know what car has a KIPS ??
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Just ride the f@#$^&% thing! If your right pant leg (or skirt as the case may be) keeps getting wet, THEN worry about it.