trying figure out the temp gauge install

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:Lol I didn't mean I wanted to monitor that stuff on the kdx I meant even on a beater (a car) that I dont care about I still want to monitor those in the vehicle.
Another quote from you :

I'm having is which way does coolant flow on these?I wanted to install on the left side right above the kips expansion chamber inline where its easy to see.

Very interested to know what car has a KIPS ??

I meant on a car but n/m too much emphasis on the wrong part I'm looking for s mechanical gauge about the size of a fuel pressure gauge.and really you mean my sbf don't have a kips?I've probably been getting ripped off on my yamaha blaster parts too hey maybe you'll know what color of power band should I get? :roll:
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Just ride the f@#$^&% thing! If your right pant leg (or skirt as the case may be) keeps getting wet, THEN worry about it.

No its not a skirt!its a sun dress with pretty flowers!

You ride how you want to ride and maintain your machine the way you want to as well.I live in a state with harsh winters and harsher summers I want to monitor temps why is that such a big deal for you Guy?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Just ride the f@#$^&% thing! If your right pant leg (or skirt as the case may be) keeps getting wet, THEN worry about it.

No its not a skirt!its a sun dress with pretty flowers!

You ride how you want to ride and maintain your machine the way you want to as well.I live in a state with harsh winters and harsher summers I want to monitor temps why is that such a big deal for you Guy?
I'm sure they are pretty.

Ok, you are right. You being from Illinois is a much harsher environment than where I live. I am so sorry for my confusion.
And yes I will keep maintaining my bike and riding my bike that way I like to. That is why I am not as concerned with the exact temperature that it is running, because it is running as it should... And besides, if it were to get hot would you shut it off and push it back to the truck?
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I most definately would shut it down and allow it to cool enough to limp to the truck yes sir.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Hey inda about that plug you're talking about I have one on top of the left radiator that I used to bleed air bubble when I refilled the system is that what you're talking about?if so I'm sure I could honkey engineer something to fit that plug.then I could use an automotive style mechanical gauge maybe mount it on the handle bars.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... that's it. I am sure you could adapt something to fit in there to get a thermocouple fitted that will connect to a small autoguage. The SR's have one fitted there...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Ok so wait a minute the SR model has a gauge from the factory?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I believe some of the SR models had a bit of a dash board - neutral indicator, temp light, blinker indicator, etc.

I looked at a couple of different options for a different project. The stock wiring harness on a typical US KDX does not support all that, so extensive rewiring became necessary.

There is a plug on the top of the LH radiator. I bet you could find a temp gauge that screws in there. Seems like there is room for the gauge behind the shroud there.

Not picking, but oil pressure does not have anything to do with damaged KIPS parts. There is no oil pump and none of those cylinder parts are running in oil. They are running in the exhaust stream.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Yea I know the kdx doesn't have an oil pump I was horribly misunderstood but that's neither here or there.so the SR only had a dummy light or an actual temp gauge?to be honest that's the only gauge I'm really after is temp.you can catch a lot of issues before they escalate just by temp.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I re-read your post. I did misunderstand......

I don't know if the SR had a gauge or just a light.

I have seen dial thermometers with the probe sticking out the back in a variety of thread sizes. McMaster Carr has a whole bunch on page 570-571 of cataloge 115, part # 3988K2 is an example. Something like that would be kind of what you are looking for. I bet your local auto parts store has some other options. It seems like I modified a water temp gauge to read oil temp on a Bug years ago.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2904756247 ... 602_304662

Will 10th the fact that it's really unneeded though. Even right at boil-over, shut down, and you're not hurting anything. If you have a gauge, and you're actually staring at it, you'll shut down what, like right before then? Like all have said, really only in mountainous terrain is this ever a problem, and it's slight. If I wanted to monitor everything I'd use this...The EGT being of good tuning use:

http://www.aimsports.com/karting/index.html
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project