Recommended Year model for 220?

Got questions? We got answers....
frackadoxs

Recommended Year model for 220?

Post by frackadoxs »

Hello all, new to this forum and enjoying it. Have performed a couple searches and not finding exactly what I am looking for, hoping ya'll can help me out.

Have always been a blue bike rider/racer (well, white and yellow before blue), but really interested in trying the KDX 220. Looking for a lightweight 2-stk woods/hare scramble bike that is not orange.

1. What year is recommended? Any year better than the other?
2. Is the aluminum frame a decision point? Pros & cons for Al frame?

There are a couple very clean 2001's in my local area. Trying to decide if I should investigate further or wait for a better year model.

Your thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

All the years are the same other than BNG. I'd try riding a 200 and a 220 before you settle on the 220. The extra displacement does not have the result you would expect. The 200 is a faster bike.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX never had an aluminum frame. There is no real advantage to an aluminum frame. They are bulkier, flex more and the weight savings is very minimal.

Anyway... as far as a machine you would like the motor in... an E series 89-94 would probably be your best bet. The H series 95 and up motor is only slightly under the E series motor but the ergos are more modern but not MX modern. Has the perimeter frame and the carb is much esier to get to.

I don't have any experience with a 220 but I do on the 200's. Parts availability for the 95 and up KDX is much better.

Also, the 200 works in the 200cc and under class.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

I have a 2000 and a 2004. The only differences are that the 2004 has a slightly larger capacity black fuel tank and a silver frame. I like that look better. They both run great once I had the head and carb modified by Ron Black and put on an FMF desert pipe. Also they need the stock piston replaced with a Wiseco. I bought the 2004 barely used with a hole in the crankcase from the piston skirt breaking.
The downside in CA is that the 2004 is a red sticker bike.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

From about '95 to the end of production there were no significant changes to the product line.

From a HS racing point of view, the KDX may not be where you want to go. If you are looking for an enjoyable, indestructible, easy to ride bike that can be upgraded to be pretty competitive in the right hands, the KDX is great. In stock form you'll be at quite a disadvantage.

IMO the best thing about the KDX is the motor. With a few minor mods and some tuning it remains indestructible and is competitive with most small bore woods style 2-strokes. A lot of people take that motor and put it in a more modern chassis, aluminum or otherwise. That'll make as good a bike as your talent will take you!

Or you could just get boring and lazy and buy a Husky, KTM, or GasGas
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:From a HS racing point of view, the KDX may not be where you want to go....
Tell that to Jeff Fredette!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

KarlP wrote:
From a HS racing point of view, the KDX may not be where you want to go....

Tell that to Jeff Fredette!
Fair enough....

I'm not sure the OP is at that level though.

At least he is trying to start with the right motor! :wink:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think the KDX is perfect for hare scrambles. People argue that the KTM is more race ready out of the box, but to me the twitchy power of the KTM makes it much less controllable in an event like HS or enduro.
Last edited by Julien D on 06:10 pm Dec 17 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Fredette ran KDX's he picked up locally to the races he ran. Bone stock most of the time.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

yeah he used to drop in at Canadian Daves and ask if someone in the town or country he was racing in, had an H he could borrow for a race.

He'd bring all the goodies to make it race ready and you got to keep those goodies when you got your bike back
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
frackadoxs

Post by frackadoxs »

Thanks for all the great responses and information! You have answered my questions on year model and Al frame.

If/when I pick up a KDX I will most definately be performing some of the modifications recommend here on the forum. Modifications are half the fun of racing!

Different questions.

1. Would you recommend an older KDX 250 over a newer 220/200?
2. The 250 front suspension would need an upgrade (does not have comp & rebound adjustment). Do you have a recommend upgrade?

Thanks again!
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I am a relative newbie in the KDX world, but I would take a KDX200 over an KDX250 any day. The KDX250 that I road years ago didn't impress me, but I love my 2003 KDX200.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

If you buy a 220 you'll be racing with 250s. Personally, I don't think that you'd be at much of a disadvantage racing a 220 with the 250s in a hare scramble though. The drag race at the start is really the only disadvantage.

You are going to want to do a fork conversion. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=104

You are going to want to do RB head and carb mods. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=110
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

just for part availability, I'd get the H serie over the 250.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

All years, '95-up are pretty much the same.
But, no matter the year, you gotta do something with the stock forks. I resprung mine for my weight, played with the oil level, etc...
Converted to KX 125 forks, hoooly s***, unbelievable difference! Safe guesstamation, my gnarly section (all sections actually) speed immediatly doubled. Don't know if it was a "did the fork mod, now it'll work" mentality holding the gas open, or the actual forks, but something majorly clicked. Never considered racing before, but now..
Lot of KX fork stuff on Ebay right now, definitely on my list of recommendations for a first mod. :grin:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness