89 Kdx200 Cylinder and kips valves question...

Got questions? We got answers....
TrentonDD

89 Kdx200 Cylinder and kips valves question...

Post by TrentonDD »

Hey guys! Bought a 89 kdx200 this summer with a street titled frame,pretty much bought it to rebuild. Well Rolled her in the basement for the winter rebuild and pulled the cylinder... Thats were the "fun" has started...
Pretty Much all of the kips valve parts are toast (broken or worn) and turns out the cylinder has been sleeved (boooooo). Since im gonna dump the money and rebuild the bottom end im thinking im just going to buy a new cylinder and all new kips valve parts... Now what is the difference between valve parts? Some are listed for motors above "x"number and some below "x" number. I have any early motor s/n but since i am buying all new which would be preferred and whats the difference??
So whats a good place to order all this from (new oem or good used?) Ive done some searching and can not find any good used cylinders... Thanks guys!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I've done my shopping on Bike Bandit or Babbittsonline.com for the most part. I tried to get all new KIPS parts, but there a couple items that are not available. I wanted a new KIPS activator shaft (the toothed pushrod) because the one in my 1990 was quite worn, but I couldn't find one. Same for the main exhaust valve. The left and right sub vavles were available, thankfully, because they were broken and trashed. I ended up buying a good used pushrod and main valve assembly on eBay. They were far less worn than my originals, and they cleaned up well. New sub valves, new idler gear, new bushings, and the KIPS is working pretty well. Have fun with your rebuild.
David Eckel