BArrel Q

Got questions? We got answers....
elemen7al

BArrel Q

Post by elemen7al »

hi i need a new piston for my KDX 125 i bought a standard 56mm and its oo small how do i meausre the size of the cylinder so i know what size pison and rings to get.. Any help on this would be great thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Most would look at the old piston and get the number off of it, then you know what to put back in.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

No juliend, most would measure the cylinder to check for wear to be sure they get the correct piston and/or to be sure they aren't in for even more repairs :wink: .

I use calipers since I don't have bore gages. It's a little tricky but I measure 2-3 spots on top and bottom and get an average. This technique hasn't failed me in 30+ years :grin: .
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

they must be real nice calipers...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:No juliend, most would measure the cylinder to check for wear to be sure they get the correct piston and/or to be sure they aren't in for even more repairs :wink: .

I use calipers since I don't have bore gages. It's a little tricky but I measure 2-3 spots on top and bottom and get an average. This technique hasn't failed me in 30+ years :grin: .
PFFT. If the cylinder looks like it's worn, yes. With a plated cylinder it's pretty easy to see. If you're just looking to replace the piston with what was in here, the best way is to order the same size piston you removed. Unless you happen to have a bore gauge handy, which most people do not. Your caliper method is next to worthless. Your 30+ years of good experience with this method is hardly anything more than luck.

everyone loves a smartass, btw ;)
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Well if it's luck, it's the only thing in my life I have ever been lucky at. Measuring at more than on location helps you I.D. if the cylinder is out of round.

I was actually taught the caliper method from an old guy who owned a Kawasaki shop I wrenched at around 1998-1999. So really I haven't been doing it for 30 years ( I have been riding that long though), but I have only been using this method for 12 years or so.

I was honestly just trying to joke around and have fun with my response. I do always measure my cylinder when doing a top end though. It's a good safe practice, even if you don't agree with my measurement method :grin: .
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

That's how Mister Wizard told me to do it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I concur. I'm not opposed to checking one with a caliper, but I wouldn't count on it as any sort of accurate measurement of the bore condition. It's impossible to get a good reading on the length of the ring wear. A bore gauge would be best. If the plating looks good, I'd not be scared to put the same size piston back in as what came out. Measuring the top and bottom of the jug can't hurt, but it won't tell you anything about the area around the ports where wear is likely to be more extensive. IMO whether or not you do this is up to you. Not a bad idea.

If you no longer have the other piston, than a caliper will tell you close enough to what the bore size is to know what piston you'll be shopping for. There's no other way to tell.....

I meant no offense with the smartass comment either, just poking back :cool:

J.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Nah no offense, it was an accurate comment :mrgreen: .
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You sure it doesn't have a 200 motor in it? :cool:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project