airbox lid removed
42 Pilot
155 main
needle 2nd clip from top I believe

and a 2006 KTM20XC-w
fmf pipe
Enduro engineering Silencer
Rekluse Z start pro autoclutch

I did about 12 miles of trail I am very familiar with for he test and here is my findings:

!st I rode the KTM200XC-w on a short loop with sand berms whoops tight trees and rocks. A good short test track and a fun section of trail.

I immediately felt the difference in the motor. The KTM is much more responsive and peppy. Not really more powerful but much more hyper.

The handling was not good and I was having difficulty maintaining speed where I normally don't Some of this was ergos and susp setup but overall the bike felt wrong.

I did the same lap on my bike and it was much better. I know a lot of it was familiarity with the bike though.

I then went and did a 20 mile ride on my bike and came back to meet some other friends. While I waited on them I took the KTM back out.

I did the same short test loop and it was better than before. I was warmed up and the bike seemed to be better. I then took it on a longer ride. About 6 miles of mainly single track. The handling was workable and not really bad but the bike is just not set up for me.

The motor was better than mine but not leaps and bounds but more of a noticeable incremental improvement. Where I have to put a little effort to get the front end up the KTM just lofted it for me. The KTM would just launch out turns where mine is noticeably slower to respond and kick.

There were things I hated about the KTM too. Finding nuetral is near impossible and it does not start well in gear. I hated the Rekluse on the first lap but I warmed up too it on subsequent rides. I found myself being very lazy and riding in a higher gear. The clutch would slip like I was feathering the clutch. The kickstand. I could not get to it with my foot to lower it while seated on the bike. The brakes were very touchy

Overall I like the handling and ergos of the Hybrid better. I think that what I am going to do do a fresh top end. Have RB mod the head. and get serious about jetting. Maybe even a Revlock. I think that would get me close if not better than the KTM.

No pumpkin for me yet...
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

The motor was better than mine but not leaps and bounds but more of a noticeable incremental improvement. Where I have to put a little effort to get the front end up the KTM just lofted it for me. The KTM would just launch out turns where mine is noticeably slower to respond and kick.
A nicely tuned KDX will loft the wheel too. That is one aspect of my KDX that I love. If there's a rock or log coming, blip, and the front wheel comes up. My buddy's 250EXC can't do that because it's not tuned correctly; feels like its running fat and blubbery.

What gearing are you running? That helps with lofting too. The RB mods are going to give you sweet lugging and chugging which makes trail riding enjoyable. It would be hard to get the KDX to respond like the 200xc-w. Another buddy of mine has an 05 and that thing is snappy. :shock:

All this is just my opinion/experience though :partyman:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX