'99 KDX 220 with Vicious PowerBand!

Got questions? We got answers....
Lovejoy

'99 KDX 220 with Vicious PowerBand!

Post by Lovejoy »

Hi, I'm new to 2 strokes, but do understand the concept of the PowerBand. I just bought a '99 220 for some green lane trail riding here in the UK. So here's my challenge - I've taken the bike for a brief run and I'm astonished at the hit of the PowerBand. First time out I was close to sliding off the back in 1st, 2nd & 3rd!

The guy I bought it off said it was a practice bike for a semi-pro rider, so may of had some tweeks, I know the piston has been exchanged. The bike starts 2nd / 3rd kick, seem to run smoothly from cold to warm, on the road can have a slight tendency to bog a little if I don't get the revs right when pulling away, but WOW when it hits it hits, then dies very quick. So the PowerBand surge is a big 1 to 2 second hit.

I'm running a standard exhaust system, cos I got to get it through the UK MoT test for road use, so have exchanged the noisy Doma race system that was on it.

From what I've read on this site, the 220 is meant to be a little calmer and smoother that I've experienced. Unfortunately the big bang power rush isn't what I need for trail riding.

So I'm looking for advice where to start to calm things down a little, I'm guessing jetting and reeds are the place to start?? Any other ideas? Or do I just need to learn to ride it better?!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What are the teeth counts on your sprockets?

If it is bogging when you are taking off... it sounds like a lean bog which is why it is so violent... Check your jetting.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Vicious PowerBand ??

On a 220 ??

There's something wrong with it :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Yeah I thought the "vicious" PowerBand on a 220 would seem odd!

Sprockets are stock as far as I can tell 13 / 47?

Gonna strip the carb and look at the jetting & the setting on the needle slider thingy.

Thanks
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Right, carb stripped - this is what I've found:

Main jet 145, pilot jet 42, and needle slider set at stock third from top.

As I have no replacement jets at present I'm gonna put it back together moving the e clip on the needle slider up one notch which will lean out the midrange (according to Cyclepedia) and play with the pilot air mixture screw.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Put it all back together; it started second kick.

Felt slightly less "lumpy" warming up and smoother less boggy at pull away, but freezing here so could not give it anything on the road, found 300 yards of off road verge.

Second gear, stood up - PowerBand = wheelie, at little more controlable thought?! This is gonna be fun!

Anyone any thoughts on those jets - are they stock?

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks fat for a 220... but I don't own a 220. Fat is good for a tame ride.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

My 220 has the same jets, though my entire exhaust is aftermarket. I get a moist residue at the muffler tip after a long ride, but no spooge. Roughly 1000' to 1500' elevation on average.
I suppose with your stock exhaust pipe there's a chance you could be a little rich. But I'm no jetting expert.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Verify kips are working (search on here).

Bike could be ported.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project