bleeding the air from the coolant system tips

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

bleeding the air from the coolant system tips

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I rode this bike today but before doing so I let it warm up a little bit and checked things out.well I grabbed the hoses and they seemed firm after a few minutes of running they were warm but not hot and I thought maybe the head gasket was leaking but compression is there and it ran great.

How do you guys bleed the system?what I've done and correct my actions if wrong.when I put the engine back together and was ready for coolant I left the bleeder screw in the head finger tight and began to slowly fill the radiators one then the other.when they were full I opened the screw and let it run until coolant came out without any air bubbles.this was done cold before the engine was started so cold.

Then today while it was warmed up I cracked the bleeder back open and only got coolant so I assume I have it bled correctly?the rads are still full and from what I can see its not burning it.but those hoses being firm so quick bothers me am I worrying over nothing or did I do something wrong?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You're fine...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Cool...you working 3rds too bro?

While I'm On the subject do they make a gauge to monitor temps while riding?or has anyone fabbed up something?id like to mintor actual water temps not like those ones with the little connector that goes under the spark plug.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They make a sticker that you can just stick on the radiator...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Really?where can I find this?how well do they work,how accurate are they?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Rmatv has temp stickers. I use them, they work great!
'00 KDX 220R
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

When I first got my bike, I didn't have any kind of a manual yet. Changed the coolant, didn't know there was a bleeder bolt even there, fired it up and rode it. It appearantly bled itself just fine, as it never overheated, ran great, and when I found out about the bleeder a coupla months later, there wasn't any air in the system.
I use it now when I change the coolant, but it doesn't seem to be 100% neccessary.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

5hanks guys good to know.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

If you want to spend some money, this is pretty nice.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/TR ... ent=badger
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote: While I'm On the subject do they make a gauge to monitor temps while riding?or has anyone fabbed up something?id like to mintor actual water temps not like those ones with the little connector that goes under the spark plug.
Fortunatly, 2 strokes are nearly impossible to overheat (KTM 300 being an exception). That's why so many people use them in the Erzberg and other extreme enduros.
Most clouds of steam have a 4 stroke under them. :wink:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Anyone got a link to the strip you put on ur rad?I spent an hour looking on rocky mountain atv with no luck.

Yea I've looked at the vapor and that's what I don't want.I was hoping someone actually had rigged up a good old fashioned mechanical gauge inline some where.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote: While I'm On the subject do they make a gauge to monitor temps while riding?or has anyone fabbed up something?id like to mintor actual water temps not like those ones with the little connector that goes under the spark plug.
Fortunatly, 2 strokes are nearly impossible to overheat (KTM 300 being an exception). That's why so many people use them in the Erzberg and other extreme enduros.
j

I wasn't aware of that.my only real concern was that it built pressure quicker than I thought or expected it to.it didn't boil over or spray out of the overflow tanks boil over tube or anything.the hoses just felt firm really quick.I checked it today cooled and I'm not low on coolant so I'm assuming I'm just overzealous a bit.but times are tough damn it and I hate doing things twice.lol
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Just ride the f&$%#!* thing! It will be fine. I have changed the coolant on mine a few times and not once even bothered with the bleed screw. If you are that worried about hurting it, get ride of it and buy an electric golf cart....
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

When you fill it up, lean the bike back and forth like you're trying to get the carb to pee and that will rid the system of most air pockets. I've always done it this way with no problem...what's a bleeder screw anyway!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ride it a while... let it cool down and top it off. It's all good.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:Anyone got a link to the strip you put on ur rad?I spent an hour looking on rocky mountain atv with no luck.

Yea I've looked at the vapor and that's what I don't want.I was hoping someone actually had rigged up a good old fashioned mechanical gauge inline some where.
These are the ones I got from RMATV. Comes in a 3 pack.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... lyId=16219
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote: Fortunatly, 2 strokes are nearly impossible to overheat (KTM 300 being an exception). That's why so many people use them in the Erzberg and other extreme enduros.

LOL You need to come for a ride out this way :wink:

Half the water in my Camelback is for me, the rest goes in my rads
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
heckler

Post by heckler »

>|QBB|QBB<[/url]
Most clouds of steam have a 4 stroke under them. :wink:[/quote]

then what's up with my bike? I've got Devol rad guards, and everything else is stock. When riding slowly on techy uphills she likes to overheat. I've bled the air out of the coolant when I changed the coolant to a 50/50 premix from the stock coolant that's been in there for 5 years.

it's to the point that I carry a small bottle of top up coolant on the more difficult rides.

Any suggestions? The radiators are not dented and no tubes appear pinched. I've drained the coolant and didn't find any blockages.

Engine is stock 2005 KDX220 (yeah, I know - change the piston)

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

They make another coolant called engine ice or something like that. I have not had a need for it or tried it myself but one of the guys i ride with had a Honda 450R that liked to run hot and boil over and it helped him.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Get a new cap...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****