PITA to start today...nature of the beast?

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

PITA to start today...nature of the beast?

Post by Budget_89KDX »

It warmed up a lot today so I thought WTF id get the bike out and go rip up the old acess roads.well that was short lived I took it out and kicked until my right leg was numb choking it then not and so on.well I decided to pull it back in and turn the furnace up to 80 out in the garage since first kick it always fired in the summer.and sure enough it fired right up.

This has me baffled since according the half a dozen plug chops I've done say its spot on are these bikes that sensitive to climate changes?jetting is 45/158 CGL needle 2nd clip from bottom and the temp was about 45ish today.

On the brighter side this things a wheelie machine now!I'm still blown away that a little set of valves working correctly can make this big of a difference.even in the sloppy acess roads I was leaning fowards to keep the front end down and I'm 6'3 215lbs.

[/b]
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Jetting is different buy the temp, elevation, humidity, and as it may seem at times also by the phase of the moon. Try playing with the air screw. Maybe a larger pilot.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The fat jetting you have in there is great for colder temps... this summer you will want to come down a bit...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dunno. Mine will start with just a few kicks even if it's bitter cold and hasn't been started in weeks. If I'm lucky, it always fires on the first kick.

It's easy to flood a two stroke though, you shouldn't need to give it ANY throttle to start with the choke on. If you do, you might flood it and then you can spend an hour kicking it.

Agree on the jetting, that's really fat. Might be good for the cold temps, but even then it could still be too rich. The CGL needle is richer than stock too, if I'm not mistaken....

J.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Mine is jetted at 40/152 year around, and will start with no more than 3 kicks even after not being ran in over a month. First kick if it's been started in the last 2-3 days. 45 or 85, makes no difference. Usually turn the air screw in a half turn for cooler temps, but that's about it. Seems start/run the same (great), no matter what.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have a 42 pilot and 158 main in right now and last weekend I had to turn the a/s in all the way and back about 1/4 turn to get it to run even half way decent. The temp was about 25 deg F.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:The temp was about 25 deg F.
That kind of temperature, I'd have more problems getting ME to run than the bike. :grin:
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

As long as the snow stays away you can still play. Then you just put the screws to it and go some more.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If it's taking more than 5 or 6 kicks I'd throw in a fresh plug and try
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I was able to duplicate the problem and it was flooded.I took it out today and didn't preheat the garage and same thing so I pulled the plug and she was wet.

Not a big deal I'm about to hang it up til spring its too cold for me if I don't have to be out in the cold I won't.so ill leave it as is and wait.I hate cold weather and the worst thing I did was come back to illinois after the army shoulda stayed at benning or sill or there about.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:I hate cold weather and the worst thing I did was come back to illinois after the army shoulda stayed at benning or sill or there about.
Illinois, BLAAH! I lived in McHenry (60 miles north of Chicago) for a couple of years. For 4 months at a time, 25 degrees would be a warm day. 25 degrees BELOW was not unusual for night time lows, with a 20 mph wind. The first winter I was there, I got up one morning and it was 30 below zero, with a 30 mph wind blowing. Weather said it was a 93 below zero wind chill.
2 years was all I could take. $$ was good, but not that good.
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I have a 42 pilot and 158 main in right now and last weekend I had to turn the a/s in all the way and back about 1/4 turn to get it to run even half way decent. The temp was about 25 deg F.
You just thought yourself how to know when the pilot needs enlarged. Your main is probably fine as it's a biggin anyway. Choke working OK? It will be harder to start when that cold, but should still fire off. KDX is a forgiving bike to start, but when the going gets rough you may need to try some techniques others use on harder-starting bikes.

Gas on, choke on, lean bike to right side (like almost on the ground) until carb pees. Now ready to kick. Leave hand off throttle. Slowly rotate motor with kicker until you know you are right at the top of the stroke (just start to feel compression). KICK it, repeat a few times.. No start, hold in kill button while kicking a few more times, release kill button, slightly crack throttle, KICK IT!

If your pilot is acting that lean it will be harder to start.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Ya it took a few kicks to get her going. I knew I should have gone up a size or two but it was a last minute ride. The main is fat but I don't hardly get a chance to use it so I never really tuned that part. Mostly 1/4 to 3/4 throttle in 2-4 gears were I ride.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:I hate cold weather and the worst thing I did was come back to illinois after the army shoulda stayed at benning or sill or there about.
Illinois, BLAAH! I lived in McHenry (60 miles north of Chicago) for a couple of years. For 4 months at a time, 25 degrees would be a warm day. 25 degrees BELOW was not unusual for night time lows, with a 20 mph wind. The first winter I was there, I got up one morning and it was 30 below zero, with a 30 mph wind blowing. Weather said it was a 93 below zero wind chill.
2 years was all I could take. $$ was good, but not that good.

Yea it sucks and I'm farther south and the weather and money suck.lol
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Jetted right in 20deg air @ IL elevation, you will like the power. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project