Bah! Who needs that!
11%

Total votes: 35

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Upgraded Lighting Coil

Post by m0rie »

Anybody running an aftermarket or rewound lighting coil in their KDX's? Anybody noticed a boost in the low end after install? Increased resistance to stalling?

*Edit*
For those who noticed an improvement can you post if it was a rewound (rickystator, etc) or a aftermarket (electrex/moose) lighting coil.

*Edit-2*
I've got a electrex/moose lighting coil on my 89 200.

-Maurice
Last edited by m0rie on 09:17 am Jun 28 2005, edited 2 times in total.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not worth the $$ in my book. My stocker does fine right now.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

my bike could easily loop from a dead start in first or second gear probably 3rd if I leaned back and tugged the bars too. I really don't need more bottom end torque so I've never experimented with it.

It's my guess the lighting coil somehow affects the ignition coil via induction? What is the theory behind this?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

skipro3 wrote:It's my guess the lighting coil somehow affects the ignition coil via induction? What is the theory behind this?
Something to that effect. Its one of those mods that fredette puts into all the KDX's he builds. Its almost like adding flywheel weight more than anything else, except it doesn't slow down the rev's at all. It just keeps the bike from stalling...its a poor mans autoclutch! :mrgreen:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I have the Moose/Electrex coil

My UFO Twins are nice and bright, even at idle

Did it improve my low end?

I dunno... I put the flywheel weight on at the same time along with some other goodies....
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

how much is that improved lighting coil, i tried to street legal mine but the horn only works if i rev the crap out of my engine and then hit the horn, then it goes from very high pitched to lower, also when i hit the back brake the light goes out, not good when riding at night, someone help :prayer: :prayer:
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

parker72001 wrote:how much is that improved lighting coil, i tried to street legal mine but the horn only works if i rev the crap out of my engine and then hit the horn, then it goes from very high pitched to lower, also when i hit the back brake the light goes out, not good when riding at night, someone help :prayer: :prayer:
Depending on where you get it the cost is around $80.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Parker:
For a horn I duct taped one of those air horn compressed air cans to my bars. Passed inspection that way.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!