torque specs???

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

torque specs???

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I just assembled my kips in the jug and after a good deal of studying the installation pics and 3 failed attempts I finally got it right and after all was said and done it wasn't too bad.I think I was over thinking it and spooked myself but anyhoo its together and works like a charm on the bench.

So now I'm about to reassemble and had a few questions first what is the head nuts torque specs,second what is the 4 jug nuts torque specs,and third how do you properly torque the jug nuts?I have "crowes feet" are they exceptable to use to torque with?if so. What do the specs change to?I've seen in alldata when I worked for ford that usingcrowes feet were exceptable but they had a seperate torque spec if used.thanks in advance.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Am I to assume no one uses torque specs?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... most people have a sevice manual that has those specs in in it. Those are out in the garage and it is cold out. Or they have them online like what is posted above which they paid for.

I know you want to go cheap but a manual is a must if you want to work on your own bike. It more than pays for itself over and over again.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't see crows feet working that great. I'd think clearance might be an issue

18 ft lbs

BTW you type like a fuggin 2 year old
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You will need the Motion Pro torque wrench extension for the jug nuts.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you have a welder or access to one, you can make your own extension out of a cheap wrench and socket.

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

So if I don't have that tool or a welder what then?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I guess you will be guessin.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

hell........i never "torqe" my head and cylinder anyway..... i just tighten them down by feel, and ride the piss out of them...........just dont use a 2 ft bar on them......

btw......just built my 300 this week, has 240lbs compression, runs like a stripped ape, and didnt "torqe" the bolts.......just tighten them, and go ride. :supz:
Last edited by kdxmaniac on 05:22 pm Nov 27 2010, edited 1 time in total.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I guess
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
kdxmaniac wrote:hell........i never "torqe" my head and cylinder anyway..... i just tighten them down by feel, and ride the piss out of them...........just dont use a 2 ft bar on them.
Me too... but I don't recommend it. People are different.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Budget_89KDX wrote:So if I don't have that tool or a welder what then?

Try and find one on craigslist?

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Came to town and a buddys got a mig rig so I just made one.he and I were wondering won't this throw the torque off?I'm using a snap-on digital torque wrench brand new so I know its dead on.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<[quote="Mr. Wibbens"

BTW you type like a fuggin 2 year old[/quote]

Bite me I'm on a cell phone and used to texting! Lol
Klammer

Post by Klammer »

Torque the same size bolt thats out in the open with a socket to the spec your looking to achive. Then test the same bolt with your welded tool and see what reading you get. Now you can torque the barrel nuts to that reading. :roll:
Klammer
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

are we stiiiiilllllll talking about torqing them there bolts??? :lol: .......id already be RIDING the bike by now!! :whistle:
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Yea I planned to test to see if its off any but thought someone would know already.

Btw what's the difference between that torque wrench setup and using a crow foot?not much difference imo.thanks though ill have it together tonight.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't know how you would get the crows foot on it to begin with and get any kind of torque on it since it wouldn't turn at all...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

IMO the torque isn't as important as getting them even. You could be off a few pounds ether way and probably wouldn't have a problem if they are all the same. Heat makes things move. If every thing has the same limits it will move evenly. And I could not agree more with the others, BUY A MANUAL........
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Motors done!went together without a hitch.still got 200psi checked it all out and as soon as the new pipe gets here ill be ready to ride just in time to put it up for winter.lol

Thanks for the help I will be investing in a manual asap.btw that tool was a great idea.