Can't get 92 kdx200 to start after top end redone.

Got questions? We got answers....
Johnkdx200

Can't get 92 kdx200 to start after top end redone.

Post by Johnkdx200 »

This is my first dirt bike and have only owned it for a few weeks. Cylinder was cracked got welded bored and replated or whatever. New wiseco piston set 711m06650 boyesen reed valves 607 spark plug br8es gasketsnew exhuast o rings and repacked the exhaust. New woodruff key and crown nut on the stator because the old key was worn on the sides and broke in half but still functioned. While the woodruff key was broken it would try and start. Little puff out the exhuast every now and then and when it caught just right it would crank for a couple seconds then die but im getting nothing now(checked the new key two different times to make sure nothing was wrong with it and it seems fine). Cleaned the carb made sure the clamp was secure, air screw is out 2 full turns for now(reed valves said about 1 1/2-2 1/2 turns) gonna readjust once I can ride it. It's getting a strong spark. Plug comes out wet after I try and kick it over. Compression is around 160psi. Seems to me like the timing isn't right or or maybe the carb. I dont know what else to do. I'll probably take the carb off tomorrow and check it again and get the jet info. I need input. Lots of input.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Check to make sure the jets aren't plugged... All you need is air, fuel and fire...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Check to make sure the jets aren't plugged... All you need is air, fuel and fire...

150/48 not plugged.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

48 is big.... 45 MAX

What is your float height?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Seems to me like the timing isn't right
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:48 is big.... 45 MAX

What is your float height?

Dont know how to check that I tried looking it up but I still couldn't figure out how to check the float level. With the carb upside down the float wont move if you press down on it it's as far as it can go. Do I measure from the bottom where the gasket sits to the metal pieces the floats are connected to?

Edit: Found an awesome site with pictures on how to measure the float. What's the float supposed to be set at it's around 23mm?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

16mm
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

Did you use the choke? Mine needs the choke to start the first time and then once its warm its good to go.
kdxmaniac
Supporting Member

Post by kdxmaniac »

he said the plug is wet...........he dont need to choke it.
my bikes
-------------
96 ktm 300
96 XR400R
07 hayabusa
77 kz 1000
85 goldwing 1200
02 BIG DOG PITBULL

gone but not forgotten
96 kdx 200
98 ktm 380 "because it dang near killed me!"
97 ktm 360
96 ktm 250
93 wr 250
94 dr 350s
93 kx 250
07 gsxr 1000
99 bandit 1200
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

Well after I adjusted the float I still got nothing. The only thing this bike was good at was making spark and it started to just spark randomly today then weak then not at all. I accidentally pulled the stator wires taking out the carb last night and I guess this is the result.

Is there a way to fix it or am I gonna be out of $150 for an aftermarket stator.
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

Hmm maybe i'll just get just this for $40!

http://www.rmstator.com/en/dirtbikes/ka ... 89+/69.htm
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Worth a try. If your key way was worn and broke it seems to me that maybe your crank or flywheel may also be worn. That can throw the timing off.
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

Well I got the new stator coil installed. I was sitting down reached to the opposite side pulled on the kickstart lever and it sounded like it wanted to start so I did it again and it fired right up real easy by hand. The rpms kept going up then after about 10seconds it stalled. Woodruff key broke in half. One half stuck in crank other half stuck in the flywheel. New woodruff key installed same thing! Completely broken in half in a matter of seconds. What im noticing is when I kick it hard at the end of the kick the flywheel starts turning the other direction(probably due to compression?). If I try and kick it light when the bike tries to start it tries to throw the kickstart the other direction with all my weight on it. Any ideas?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Slipped crank?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Slipped crank?
Ya like he said.
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

What does that mean?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

From what your saying it sounds like your timing is off. Could be the stator plate is turned. Could be the crank may have sliped a little on the rod pin. Could be the grove in the flywheel is spread. Could be the grove in the crank is spread. If you are shearing key ways you probably have a tolerance issue between the flywheel and the crank.
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:From what your saying it sounds like your timing is off. Could be the stator plate is turned.
When I replaced the stator coil I just through it back in the bike didn't align it to any marks.

I see 4 marks on the crankcase possibly for timing but nothing on the stator plate.
Johnkdx200

Post by Johnkdx200 »

Looks like a timing mark on the left hand side on the case. But nothing on the stator..

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Align the little notch with the open area on tbe plate put it dead in the middle.