Cartridge-Fork Emulators?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Cartridge-Fork Emulators?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

If I'm correct, are these emulators?

I was told when I bought my bike that a few mods were performed on the front suspension, he wasn't specific about them (he was the 2nd owner). I found these while taking apart the forks to replace the seals and I'm here to ask, do these help with performance? The front suspension is still way too soft for my likings and would like to "stiffin" them up, but would adjusting these help (if they are adjustable)? I've heard from previous owners who switched to stiffer springs and said it still handles sloppy, I would like to do as much as I can before doing a complete fork conversion on my bike[/img]
exbee

Post by exbee »

Those are emulators, they are adjustable, I'm not sure how much they'll stiffen your forks, they're more for rebound & compression damping I think. I've got them in another bike of mine and they make a bit of difference but not huge. Someone else can probably tell you more.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks man, yeah I'll go ahead and tighten them up a little and see what I get.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Nice part.

Do you have an idea of the spring rate installed in there?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks, and I believe everything else in the suspension is stock (judging by how easily it bottoms out, I would think it is stock). The owner before me didn't specify anything, I will need to double check one of these days. Also, how will I be able to check spring rate? I'm new to suspension stuff :oops:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hey, have we got another 1989 owner???

Nice :)
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Haha yeah, it's an awesome bike :grin: I really want to set this suspension right so it won't be as dangerous next time I ride. Any suggestions (besides replacing the whole front end)?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Install springs for your weight, and make sure the seals and bushings are good.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I went to Racetech's website and it recommended fork springs with 0.402 kg/mm rate, but it looks like the only springs they have for an '89 are .46 kg. Stock XR400 springs have a rate of .400 kg/mm, would they work? I think I remember conversations on here about XR400 springs fitting perfectly in an E-series KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, that is a Race-tech emulator. It's fuction is to modify a damper rod fork to feel and operate more like a cartridge fork by utilizing speed sensitive compression damping - unlike a damper rod fork in which compression damping spikes severely with speed. The emulator will allow you to increase low speed compression damping (by tightening up that cap screw, and putting more tension on the shim stack), yet still allow the oil to blow by upon a sharp hit.
By your description, it sounds as though you need stiffer springs. It is really tough to accurately tell what the rate of your current springs are, though, so I would suggest going to Race-Tech's website and using their spring rate calculator to find out what springs you should be looking for.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
exbee

Post by exbee »

For what it's worth, Race Tech recommended a 0.42 kg/mm spring for my bike and weight (93KDX 250 & 175 lbs) but didn't have that rate so I got the 0.44s. These turned out to be far too stiff for me and I reverted back to my previous springs. I know I'm talking about USD forks vs conventionals but it's likely much the same when you're talking about spring rates. I wouldn't go with the 0.46 springs unless you're a really big guy....
gregp

Post by gregp »

I am running 0.40's (from a '98 XR400) and I weigh over 200 lbs. They are a little bit soft for me, but they work just fine in the woods, and are much better than the stock springs. 0.42's would be great.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Does Fredette still sell springs

I bought 42's from him years ago
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help :) Race-Tech's website recommends that I should use fork springs rated at .402 kg/mm and frpoffroad's website recommends me using .33 kg rated springs. I'll probably go with Indawood's link and use the springs from a more recent KDX if I can't find what I'm looking for. 0.35 kg rated springs I'm sure is a huge difference from the .29 kg rated stockers
Last edited by KDXrider1989 on 01:00 am Nov 27 2010, edited 1 time in total.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:I am running 0.40's (from a '98 XR400) and I weigh over 200 lbs. They are a little bit soft for me, but they work just fine in the woods, and are much better than the stock springs. 0.42's would be great.
Do you have an E-series KDX? If you don't, do you think they will fit anyways?
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have an '04 H series. I do not believe that they (XR springs) will fit the E series bikes, with damper rod forks. I would suspect that the length would be completely different, but I could be wrong...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't think the springs are any different

When I bought 42's from FRP I believe they were listed for 89 - 06 KDX's
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I went to the link again and if XR400 springs can fit in an H-series KDX and the H-series springs could fit in an E-series, then I would guess the XR springs could fit in an E-series? :? and if it's a different length from the springs on my bike, I'm sure I would have to modify or make a new spacer
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just about any spring is gonna require a new spacer to be made
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))