95 KDX-200 burning trans. fluid

Got questions? We got answers....
cwittme

95 KDX-200 burning trans. fluid

Post by cwittme »

I have a 1995 KDX-200 that is burning transmission fluid. I have recently split the cases to inspect the crankcase seals; especially the clutch side for a problem. The seals looked and felt okay. I replaced them and reassembled the engine. Upon start up and after about 15-20 minutes of running the bike was still smoking pretty heavy. The transmission fluid level went down. The factory service manual shows the crank seals with the open or spring side facing the crank. I've always thought a seal would face the fluid you're trying to retain. Need suggestions and help with this problem.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm surprised to hear you split it and did not replace the seals. Seems like a lot of effort to go to and not go ahead and replace them. Aside from a leak between the case halves, the only way for transmission fluid to get into the crank case is through that RH crank seal.

Sounds like you'll be splitting the cases. Replace the main seals and crank bearings at the least.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Normally, the "hollow" side faces the fluid/pressure you are trying to retain. Julien is correct, hopefully the case halves were not pryed apart with a screwdriver at or around the crank area. The slightest nick there will allow tranny fluid to be sucked into the crank area, and burned, at an alarming rate. Personally, I smear a very thin coat of silicone around that entire area before reassembly.
This topic is kind of what I was refering to in my past comments and threads - if you have to split the cases, it is prudent to replace as many of these components as you can while you are in there - main bearings, crank seals, and maybe even install a rod kit (as main bearings and rod bearings wear at about the same rate, as far as I can tell).
It definately sounds like you will need to split the cases again...sorry.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)