kdx 200 kick starter problem

Got questions? We got answers....
DanMan06

kdx 200 kick starter problem

Post by DanMan06 »

hey all, my bro in law and I were going for our ride in our Natl Forest when he started trying to start his bike. Once it kicked over and started this LOUD sound like putting a piece of tin in your spokes and turning it at 1000rpm started happening.

In short we haven't been able to pull the clutch cover and inspect the kick started spring but this is what we've found so any input is greatly appreciated.

Once kicked over and the noise occurs, if you pull the kick starter slightly back, the noise stops.
When you kill the engine, it flings the kick starter forward and it slams into the pipe.

so, could this possibly be the kick starter spring? He did have problems with the spring before so that is the main suspect. Can someone tell us how the spring should line up and how it should be wound? We have been looking on this maintenance site but it doesn't state if the spring should be wound clockwise or counter-clockwise.

thanks in advance!
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

It sounds as if the kicker ratchet assembly/spring is out of the proper position. It's possible that the spring just popped out of its groove and the plastic bushing in the center of the spring is now cockeyed. It's tricky to get the bushing fully seated on the shaft and have the spring properly tensioned. When I assembled my motor the first time, I got it wrong and the kicker wouldn't return to its proper position.

If I recall correctly, when you get the ratchet and bushing and spring seated, you should need to wind the spring clockwise maybe a quarter turn to get the end of it in its hole. You don't have to put too much tension on it. HOwever, it's tricky to do the tension AND keep the bushing properly seated. It'll probably take a couple attempts. Good luck.
David Eckel
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

sounds about right from what I remember, dfeckel :)