Shipping Bike

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shipping Bike

Post by bradf »

What is the best way to ship a bike accross country? I am moving from WA state to Georgia in September. Will the moving companies like Mayflower take a bike? Does it need to be crated?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

There are several companies that will move your bike across the U.S. Forward Air is probably the most well known and has a website that will help you calculate out what it will cost. THey have crates you just wheel your bike into, strap down and then padlock the doors (one on each end) shut.
Also check out AMA. If you are a member of the AMA, (and we all should be) they have discount coupons from sponsors who transport bikes across the country. THat alone would more than pay for your AMA membership.
Check out the ads in Motorcycle magazines. Several transporters advertize in the street and dirtbike mags.

So Brad, you have to ride at least once with CC, Wibby, FarmerJ and me before you leave!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Moving companies will move you bike provided it is drained of fuel and oil. Usually you do not have to crate them. If a new employor company is paying for your move they will likely count it as one of the two vehicle which they pay to have moved.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

United moved my old KDX 12 years ago from Washington to Colorado. I didn't pay any extra. To them it was the same as moving a lawn mower. I was busy with a lot of work and the whole moving thing, and never prepped the bike for moving...just kind of spaced. I wasn't home when they loaded us up, but it had about a quarter tank of gas and the case was full of oil. Our stuff had to stay in storage for 2 months and the bike did fine. I would recommend you do it the right way though and empty it. I'd leave the coolant in though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I see Forward Air mentioned a lot on eBay. A former co-employee sold his four wheeler on eBay and some company came and picked it up. He just had to drain the fuel and oil, like IC said.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Forward air will check that the fuel tank is empty: not sure if they will physically check on oil in crankcase.

Truck moving companies are likely a lot more lax on the fuel check although I'm 99.9% sure their insurance company policy states that Class I flammable fuels will not be transported in the company's enclosed moving vans. (The drivers/loaders are typically a lot more lax and untrained than hazardous material truck drivers)
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I found ABF U-Pack. They bring a 28' trailer, I pack it and put in a bulkhead and it's gone. It's $195 per foot of trailer. I'll cram the bikes in there.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd