what was kawasaki thinking?

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

what was kawasaki thinking?

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I started assembling my little bros 250 tonight and started with the jug.I took this thing apart quite some time ago and put the powervalve assembly together on memory I didn't open the manual until done and that was only to make sure I didn't miss any qwerky little adjustment or settings.well seeing how well this thing went together and now that I've got some what of a better understanding of how these powervalves work I tried assembling my kdx and got frustrated and gave up.that is a total pita!why did kawi go with such a long drawn out powervalve assembly with all the parts that wear out?I don't really see anything in the his suzi's setup to wear out.I'm by no means an expert and these are just my understanding and observations but it seems like a pretty bulllet proof design and I don't see why kawi used something so flimsy compared to this suzi.I mean apart from wearing out the ports on the jug where the valves are there's no finicky gears to be timed or wear out.maybe someone can explain this to me?thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's probably why they stopped using that design after 4 years?

The reasons for all the parts are the sub valves and resonator chamber. These combine with the main valve to give the bike it's amazing low end. It was a good idea on paper I'm sure, but the aluminum valves are weak, as you have seen. If you take some precautions, you can get much longer use from the valves. There is some info floating around on the web about fixes and tweaks.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have repaired broken RM power valve components as well. None of them are bomb proof. Some of the late 80's Yamaha designs were a total PITA, with a lot of small parts that hade to be timed by using a small pin to line things up.
The power valve assemblies on the newer KTM 200's are also said to be difficult to get set up correctly, but I have never worked on one (yet).
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

With a manual, I don't think the KIPS are bad really. Without a manual I could see why you are having issues.

Follow this link:

http://www.geocities.com/a57ngel/moto/kips.html
gregp

Post by gregp »

Budget 89, if you are young, you have never had the pleasure of riding a non-power valved two stroke. They were either tuned for low end, and flattened out quickly, or they had all top end, and fell flat on their faces at low RPM. The KDX (both E and H series motors) really is a modern marvel, in terms of power delivery, by comparison.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I'm 29 idk if that's young.and I've rode alot of atvs and dirtbikes.and I have a blaster set up for flat track its a non PC motor.I did a search before posting this bit I didnt see the tweaks and mods you said.do you know any of them I'd like to only have to do this once.I'm hoping after I see it done ill have a better understanding of how to do it in the future.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

When you pull the cylinder and get your new valves, if there is excessive play in the lower journal you can use a punch and make 4 dimples around the hole there, tightening it up a bit. If you make it too tight, you may need to ream it back out with a drill bit for smoother operation.

Replace the collars when you replace the valves. Again, if they have too much clearance, use a punch and dimple around the collar to tighten it back up a bit.

The collar on the RH side that the rod slides through is not held very securely by the set screw. I made an aluminum plate with a hold for the collar and a hole for the set screw. Use a slightly longer screw, and your plate should hold the collar in straight, preventing it from cocking and binding which I believe leads to sub valves shearing.

After everything is tight and working correctly, inspect and clean them regularly. At least once a year.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Well inda lives 35ish mins from me and said he will help so I'm hoping to get it fixed and learn a few tricks of the trade while I'm at it.everything is nice a tight in the head as far as kips go just the left side valve had 3 teeth smoothed down to flat spots.