Stock H series forks - more rebound?

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

Post by gregp »

I was running ATF, which is supposedly around 7-10w. I switched to some 2.5 wt, but the forks felt better overall with the ATF, so I changed back. Oil does not squirt out of the hole at the top of the inner rod, like it did on my '87 CR250, though - I checked. This tells me that any mods to gain more rebound would require the cartridge to come apart. The last time I had the cartridges out, it did not look like they were meant to be disaasembled. IIRC, they are crimped over at the top of the outer tube.
The next time I take them out, I will investigate further.

Another question: I see bosses cast into the bottom of the sliders that look like they were meant to hold drain screws. Has anybody ever drilled and tapped these out for quick, easy oil changes?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I had been running 5 weight and swithced to AFT. Really liked the difference. So I figured what the heck, let's give 10 a try. Can't wait to try it out this weekend :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've got .46 springs in mine. Forks were just too dang fast with ATF,

Going down steep rooted out trails, I'd start bouncing like a pogo stick. Eventually I'd bounce so much I'd lighten up the rear, and I'd start going too fast and out of control

10 weight put a stop to the pogo stick effect
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey Wibby....I ran that 10 weight today. I think I like it and am gunna keep it. I had to get used to the additional hit on my arms/hands, but I could tell I was faster, especially in the chop and corners. Thanks. . . . .
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I loosened the compression on my forks a couple clicks. I also was able to go about 6 clicks softer on my rear spring after wards. Really improved the handling
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:
IMy neighbor just picked up a 95 that had the forks done by someone. He was told that one fork now controls rebound, and one controls compression.
I seem to recall certain models of KTM had this from the factory... or was it Husqvarna? Anyway, a bud of mine had this procedure done for his RM250 & he hated it.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 98 KTM 250EXC had that setup.... I liked it once I got it dialed in.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:I had been running 5 weight and swithced to AFT. Really liked the difference. So I figured what the heck, let's give 10 a try.
I was running 5W in my KLX250 (same fork internals, apparently), and switched to 7.5W when I did the seals, and it made a HUGE difference. The KLX300 fork swap on my KDX (.38 spring) has 5W oil, but needs a lot of clicks on the compression to make it handle decently, so maybe 7.5, or 10W is the way to go.

I always thought ATF was closer to a 15-20W
Ontario, Canada
gregp

Post by gregp »

I had a KTM300 and a Husky TE410 with those separate function 'Zokes. I hated them. And it seemed like they always leaked, no matter what I did. The stock KDX forks actually work pretty good in gnarly trails by comparison.
My '94 KLX 250 had Race-Tach Gold Valves, and they were like cheating! Maybe that is the direction I will have to take with my KDX forks.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey ZW...I always thought ATF was about 7.5.....give or take. When I went to 10 I could tell it was......."stiffer" :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:
I am very happy with the stock forks on my '04 KDX
My neighbor just picked up a 95 that had the forks done by someone. He was told that one fork now controls rebound, and one controls compression. I asked him to show me the paperwork, and he said he has it. I'll see if I can get my hands on that and see what was done, might help you out.... I wouldn't hold my breath though. It sounded to me like a crock.
Sounds like Dicks Racing. I know he does that to KTM forks.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Don't the new Kawi's come with the seperate function fork legs? The KX's do at least.
'00 KDX 220R
gregp

Post by gregp »

The new Kawasaki KXF "separate function fork" is completely different. It only has one spring, in one leg, and the other leg controls both compression and rebound damping. There is only a minimal amount of oil in the leg with the spring..just enough to lube the bushings.
I read that this was done to ease servicing and tuning. I have to wonder if a new spring for that bike will still cost $100, or will it be only $50 because you only need 1? Also, if you send the fork in for re-valving, will the price be cut in half because they only need to do 1 leg?
Bigger questions are: Does this system work? and, Will the other manufacturers follow along?
As a tinkerer, who likes to work on and modify my own stuff, I kind of like the idea.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200