First Ride and Where to get a Clutch Cable

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

First Ride and Where to get a Clutch Cable

Post by turtle »

I bought my 2004 KDX220 in June. It is a project and it got some new bearings, seals, etc. Yesterday I got to take it on the trails for the first time and I had a lot of fun. I think I am really going to like this bike.

But the day ended early because of a broken clutch cable. The transmission dragged in gear when I bought it, but after a couple oil changes it seemed to be fine riding around on my property. But once I got it really warmed up it was dragging a bit again. The cable has a quick adjuster on it so I adjusted it and it was a little better, but then the cable broke. So I am hoping a couple oil changes and adjustments will help, but given the overall condition of the bike I am betting the basket needs attention. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Also, I need a clutch cable. I can get a Motion Pro on Ebay for $17 shipped. Has anyone had any good/bad luck with the MP products and is that a good price?

Thanks.
Bill
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

They make good stuff
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

10-4. thanks. I ordered a couple from my local off-road dealer.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

What part of central Illinois are you from?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

In the repair manual there is a check in the clutch section that has to do with a spacer on the clutch actuator rod that sets the arm on the clutch cover. I had to remove the spacer on mine to get the clutch to drag less. that might be worth at least checking.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Budget_89KDX wrote:What part of central Illinois are you from?
I'm from the Peoria area. I went to the Peoria Motorcycle Club's off road poker run Sunday and had a blast.

Where are you?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:In the repair manual there is a check in the clutch section that has to do with a spacer on the clutch actuator rod that sets the arm on the clutch cover. I had to remove the spacer on mine to get the clutch to drag less. that might be worth at least checking.
Good idea. I have seen that in the manual. I assume once I get the clutch cover off I can see the basket easily and make a determination if I need to work on the basket or look at changing the spacers? I did the 90 degree test in the manual but it didn't tell me much because the cable kind of flopped to the side.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R