1990 kdx fork upgrade

Got questions? We got answers....
chriswill

1990 kdx fork upgrade

Post by chriswill »

need some advice on forks please. ive got a 1990 kdx 200 which ive stripped and rebuilt, its a fantastic bike but im just not happy with the front end!!the forks have been stripped and rebuilt with heavier oil but they still bottom out under heavy riding ive set compression damping to max but no good,ive been told i can fit upside down forks to solve the problem but what will fit???
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Yup! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

And read read read!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

Lots of good info on here...an upgrade would be the 95 and up forks, or KX forks, or XR Springs...all the info is in that link! Good luck!

Luke
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
ldspowersports wrote:Lots of good info on here...an upgrade would be the 95 and up forks, or KX forks, or XR Springs...all the info is in that link! Good luck!

Luke
Not!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

I guess I should say a "budget" upgrade" with some XR springs....is that better?? :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

H series forks are no better than your 91 E series forks.

So, either upgrading the springs to a higher rate or KX forks is the only improvements.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
ldspowersports wrote:I guess I should say a "budget" upgrade" with some XR springs....is that better?? :lol:

I would say XR springs are the best BOING for the buck mod (40$) for your front end!

m0rie found them for me on thumpertalk classifieds. I think they are .40kg. Great improvement overall compared to the .29kg for the strockers. I love them, they eat whatever you put in front of them!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
michael

Post by michael »

I whacked some springs in myne out of the old mans 2000 XR400. Made a world of difference, It really did.
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Post by ldspowersports »

I have personally never done it, but I would love to swap the KX forks soon.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Indawoods
Site Admin

___Offline___

Post subject: BEST OF THE BEST MODS!

First and foremost should be suspension upgrades.

On stock forks you should get springs that support your weight. Stock springs on a E series KDX are .32kg and stock springs on H series KDX's are .35kg. These forks on the different series KDX's are of different technologies but the H series springs are an upgrade to the E series springs and are usually the first step to getting the E series forks up to snuff. When I say E series I am not talking about the 93-94 USD forks. These forks require aftermarket springs I believe.
The shock should be serviced once a year. make sure the spring installed is for your weight. The stock spring is generally good to 180 pounds.

KX fork Conversion....

I personally believe the best fork modification for the KDX is a KX fork conversion. The benefits are newer technology through rebound and compression settings, less underhang and better control through less flex. It is believed that and KX forks 96 and up are the best upgrade. All of these can be made to work very well with only modest modifications. A KX 500 front end is a direct replacement for the KDX so this will require almost no modification to work and many people look for these to ease installation. More information is posted in the Fork Conversion Forum.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "

Last edited by Indawoods on 09:00 am Oct 09 2009; edited 2 times in total

Hmmmm.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What's Hmmmmm.... Out with it man.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:H series forks are no better than your 91 E series forks.

So, either upgrading the springs to a higher rate or KX forks is the only improvements.
Seems as tho you have conflicting opinions.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I don't think so at all... upgrade the springs! So what if they are different technology... they both are subpar IMO.

Where is the conflict? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Agreed, yes they are both subpar. But if he put on a set of H forks would they not have stiffer springs making them an improvement over the E forks. And if they are of different technology did they make the H more primitive or mabe just a little better? The question I saw at the top of the post was looking for options not just the best upgrade.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No... The E series forks are the equivalent to H series forks in stock form.

By increasing the spring rate in the E series, it makes them better than stock H forks with stock springs.

When I had my 92, this is the first upgrade I did. It made it rideable at that point.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Seems like the H forks are not as stout as the E's
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:No... The E series forks are the equivalent to H series forks in stock form.

By increasing the spring rate in the E series, it makes them better than stock H forks with stock springs.

When I had my 92, this is the first upgrade I did. It made it rideable at that point.
Stock springs on a E series KDX are .32kg and stock springs on H series KDX's are .35kg. These forks on the different series KDX's are of different technologies but the H series springs are an upgrade to the E series springs and are usually the first step to getting the E series forks up to snuff.

?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Right....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****