Hmm...first impressions??

Got questions? We got answers....
maseh2os

Hmm...first impressions??

Post by maseh2os »

Haven't had a chance to call this guy yet, but do you guys think this even looks like it's worth pursuing?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2035963888.html

I really want to get a KDX, but it seems like all the H series bikes around here are overpriced. I dunno...trying to do this on a budget, so it seems like an E series needing some work might be a good place to start? Maybe learn a thing or two along the way. Would love to get your opinions. Thanks!
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

Not bad since it has a rebuilt engine. I have a feeling that once you get through replacing bearings, brakes, tires, or whatever else it needs that you could just get an H series. It wouldn't be a terrible bike to get though. I bet he would take $550 or so.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I gave $475 for my 89 not running. Seems like a fair deal to me. If you're careful about it, you should be able to get it all in order and still have under 1k in it. Looks like you'll be able to ride it in between doing little maintenance jobs too (bearings and such, as mentioned). I'd say the fresh motor alone is worth darn near what he's asking for it. I'd want to see receipts on that engine work though, and perhaps call the shop who did the work and make sure of what was done.
gregp

Post by gregp »

That is a pretty good deal, IMO. If I were looking for an E series KDX, I'd jump on it, providing he is telling the truth about the engine work. I actually enjoy working on my bikes, and any bike under $2500 is going to need something in terms of work and parts. I have to wonder what "spring" he is talking about, though...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
exbee

Post by exbee »

I'd go for it, if you can get it for $500 or so then spend another $3-400 putting in new bearings,seals, etc at least you'll know what you have. Personally I like to have a baseline to start from. It's nice to know exactly what has been replaced and when...it's good peace of mind when your out on the trail. You could spend over $1,000 on a 10 year newer bike that still needs all the same things replaced...my 2 cents.
maseh2os

Post by maseh2os »

Here's another thought...is this really a 1993? It looks a little older to me, maybe 91 or 92? Any way of knowing just by looking?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The forks would be a good indicator.... That is not a 93 like you suspected. It is a 89-92
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
maseh2os

Post by maseh2os »

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. I guess on the one hand, I have a good bargaining chip to offer him less than he's asking. On the other, it could mean he's dishonest, and the whole ad has to be taken as doubtful. Bummer... :?
gregp

Post by gregp »

And, it's hard to tell, but the countershaft sprocket cover looks like it was made from a 4"x4" electrical box...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

offer him 300.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
maseh2os wrote:Hmm, that's what I was afraid of. I guess on the one hand, I have a good bargaining chip to offer him less than he's asking. On the other, it could mean he's dishonest, and the whole ad has to be taken as doubtful. Bummer... :?
I wrote him, here's his reply:

Sorry -this is a 1992.. I placed the ad for my son and got it wrong.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
maseh2os

Post by maseh2os »

Thanks for doing some digging! I just found that other ad for the same bike today, '92 sounded more like it. I have also seen all those other bikes in Oregon as well...unfortunately, I think the wife would be a lot more willing to go along with me shelling out 500-1000 than 1000-1500. Especially if I'm going to have to pay to drive a couple hours to get them. I hate money being such a deciding factor in a decision like this, but at the moment, it kinda has to be...You think I'd be that much better off if I saved up for a while instead of jumping on something now?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wait a few months and you will probably come across a much better deal...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

It is getting late in the riding season. Holding out is probably your best bet, bikes don't sell that great in the winter. (= cheaper bikes!)