KIPS problem/solution?

Got questions? We got answers....
maseh2os

KIPS problem/solution?

Post by maseh2os »

So the whole KIPS issue...I keep seeing people having repeated problems with them, particularly with the E series, which looks as though it can get pretty costly. Has anybody found or had any luck with a solution to this problem? Part of the reason I'm so interested in getting a KDX is the durability and economy, so having to frequently replace an expensive part would be a bit upsetting. I don't really like the solution of just getting rid of the KIPS, as it seems the bike would be more enjoyable when running as intended.

Just trying to set my mind at ease before making a purchase!
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Well really if you had a bike that has issues (stripped teeth etc), if you replace them and do periodic maintenance, ie cleaning and proper re-assembly, they should last awhile. Best guess would be 10 years maybe? So I would not call that frequent.

One of the main problems is most people fear tearing into powervalves so they get neglected, then they break. That is not always the case, but I would bet it happens the majority of the time.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Even IF you neglect the Kips ... which should never be the case because they will last longer than a topend and you should service them when you service your topend. My bike is a 95 and has the original valves in it... My sister in laws E series has the original valves in it.

Even at $70... I don't call that a high dollar repair. A topend is more costly than that and it is very cheap. There is no more reliable bike than the KDX and even with the KIPS messed up, they run damn good.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "