Copper exhaust gasket?

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Copper exhaust gasket?

Post by rbates9 »

I just got a new gasket set for my 2000 kdx 200 and it has a copper gasket that seems to go in the jug but there was no gasket in there when I took it apart, just an aluminum "spacer". It had a FMF on it when I bought it. Is the spacer a replacement for the gasket? The pipe dose not leak at the jug at all.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes and no... the spacer in there is proly a Torque Ring by FRP. The copper gasket does go where the ring is... it is to help seal the exhaust.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It's not always a copper washer, I've had kits that supplied an aluminum one, least that is what I assumed it to be

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The bike dose have a FRP sticker on it but it also has a FRP chain guide on it. What is the FRP spacer supposed to do? It seems to be just a peace of aluminum pipe cut down to about 1/4 inch thick.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The torque ring is supposed to add low end torque... when it just actually lowers the torque down about 200 RPM.... takes it off the top.... It's a give and take thing....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Have you seen one in person? Dose it just look like a piece of pipe cut down?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

yup
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Hmmmmmmm. Might just take that out and try it with just the "gasket". The bike lugs pretty good but seems to be lacking a little on top. (Yes, yes I know, jetting jetting jetting, but NO matter what the changes it still seemed to want to go slower more than faster.)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Yup...

That is it. Dose FRP recommend using the gasket with it?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

If memory serves me correctly, I believe you remove the copper
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
luckymick

Post by luckymick »

Yup, that's what came off of my stock pipe - the FRP "spacer" or "torque ring". Don't know why the original owner put it on my 220 (isn't that what the larger bore was for?) but it was there.

No - I repeat - no copper ring/washer when I took my bike apart. Therefore I assume if you have the torque ring you don't put in the copper washer.

I purchased the gasket kit from Cometic with my Wiseco piston. Includes the two rubber o-rings but no copper/aluminum washer. So I'll be re-installing this torque ring.

Bike is for my 13 yr old so it's not like it's going to be raced (not going to miss the upper end - yet!). Pipe was easy enough to take off; I'll add the original Kawasaki part some day.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The torque ring can give you sealing issues with the pipe... If you have a 220... I would take it out. Not needed unless you live in Mountain goat country!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

I believe the copper(aluminum) gasket provides some sealing for the pipe but the main purpose is to isolate(cusion)the steel pipe from the aluminum cylinder,without it the pipe will wear the aluminum away fairly quickly.
The o-ring should be providing the majority of the sealing.