KX250 cylinder (89-91) to KDX250 (92) cylinder conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
frontrow

Post by frontrow »

Hi all. I figured this must have been covered umpteen times already on this forum however after 20 min of searching I can't seem to track down any previous discussion on such a conversion.

There seem to be several people here who ride the 250 so here's wondering if any of you have ventured down this path? My KDX250 is the SR version. I've spoken to my (semi)local Kawasaki dealer and theyr'e looking into getting a workshop manual and supplement for me (she's not optimistic however).

My current cylinder / barrel seems to be in ok shape however..... through not being able to help myself prepare for 'what if', I've discovered that KDX250SR barrels are extreeeeeeeeeeeemly difficult to come by. I have however found various mentions across the net that similar vintage KX250 top ends may be compatible. Can anyone confirm this?

Some of those 'mentions' about such a conversion include concerns about the SR having a longer stroke which may prove a deal breaker (unless this can be made up with addition of extra base gaskets????)

I ask as I have located several sensibly priced kx250 barrels nearby so pending compatibility may pick one up which it's available!.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I don't own the SR model so I cann't really help there. I don't know if anyone on the board have the SR model. I found a manual on Esnay for like $25 on disk I am not sure if it has anything on the SR or not.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
frontrow

Post by frontrow »

Thanks for the quick response radonc.

I've been able to find the standard KDX250 supplement from various sources. I'm heading over to Japan in late December (brrrrrrrr) so will try my luck at a couple of kwaka dealerships over there for the manual.

Information about the KX barrel's compatability would be wonderbulous though! Not looking for hot-up info on a 20 year old trail bike.... just want to keep it going for as long as possible!

The KDX250 is such a neat bike to use around town. I've tried other road and road/trail bikes but keep coming back to the stability, power user-friendliness of the KDX250.
BIGWP

Post by BIGWP »

Hi frontrow,

I've had a SR for a few months, it had a bit of work due & I've suffered with getting parts. I haven't managed to track down a workshop manual so if you do; share,share.

All my research seems to point to the SR piston not having any generic replacements, only Kawasaki parts available. I read somewhere that a guy used Gas Gas 300 piston with a shorter con rod.

As far as I know the pistons aren't interchangeable. Same diameter, pin location is different.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you do realize this post is over 2 years old...
BIGWP

Re: KX250 cylinder (89-91) to KDX250 (92) cylinder conversio

Post by BIGWP »

scheckaet - Thanks for pointing that out, I've had to look through tons of posts about the SR model & often the thread runs dead as there aren't very many guys with these bikes. So I thought I'd add my 2c for anybody who stumbles on the thread.
diamonddom

Post by diamonddom »

I realize this is an old thread I also own a early KDX250SRF Model and am looking at changing cylinder/head parts over from a 92 KX250.
Could the KX head be skimmed as the stroke on the SR is apparently 1.8mm shorter? Thus enabling the fitment of the KX barrel and head to the KDX Con rod and bottom end?