'Hypothetically'

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: clicking
The guy above wrote:...when the main rod hits the detent ball.

BTW...that detent ball and spring are something commonly removed to let the KIPS engage without having to overcome the added resistance.
There is a spring loaded detent ball on the LH side of the cylinder. Look at the cylinder directly under the KIPS main shaft and you see a 10mm bolt? Take that out and out falls/drops the spring and detent ball. You can hear it 'click' when the KIPS is all clean and is manually activated.

A clicking sound is normal.

I'd rather it snapped back just fine on its own. There have been instances when things haven't been right after re-assy for sure. I'm saying there can be things wrong that are preventing the KIPS from working freely.

For all I know the head locating pins have been removed from your bike and the head is interfering with the subport drums. It could happen.........

I also wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. If after a ride or two the thing is still not returning all the way (engine running), then it needs to be resolved.

re: effect of removing the spring and ball

The guy above said that, too. :wink:

The KIPS is supposed to be activated at the same time the spark is retarded...6kRPM. Now..they aren't 'attached' somehow, so I don't know how close all of it actually takes place. Removing the detent ball and spring will result in less resistance when the activating mechanism spring 'works'. That may result in the KIPS activating a bit earlier than otherwise..but not a whole lot.

Adding a washer will amount to a similar situation. Removing a washer will have the opposite effect (a single washer is the original configuration..I think).

If the question is: 'What is the difference in RPM the KIPS is activated with the spring/ball removed and installed and how does the HP/torque curve change?

My answer is: 'I have no clue.'

re: could there be a problem in the clutch area.

Yep. If the same guy that put the drums in backwards didn't bother to support the activating shaft when he wrenched the nut off he tweaked the shaft and/or the pin at the bottom of it. The result? It may well break at a most inopportune time. Some have ended up with barely any damage, some have grenaded, fragged, crapped on, farged, jacked up, screwed-blued-tattooed (not to mention knackered) the entire motor. :shock:

Re: Need more hit.

You want the whole list'o stuff?? :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 04:00 pm Jun 29 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
sasrocks
Supporting Member

Post by sasrocks »

thanks CC!! :prayer:

We will wait until re assembled and proper thrashing occurs before spending another brain cycle worrying about it.

:twisted: :mrgreen: