V-Force high/low reed tension settings

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

V-Force high/low reed tension settings

Post by gregp »

Today I removed my V-Force reed cage, and moved the reed stops to the "low tension" setting, even though the cage came with a small paper with a warning that said that the reed life will be dramatically shortened in this setting.
It made a big difference! The motor now has a very strong hit in the lower mid-range - just where I want it!
The V-Force now feels very similar to the Boyeson RAD valve I had in my '96 KDX.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Which version, V2 or V3?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gregp

Post by gregp »

V2
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: V-Force high/low reed tension settings

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Today I removed my V-Force reed cage, and moved the reed stops to the "low tension" setting, even though the cage came with a small paper with a warning that said that the reed life will be dramatically shortened in this setting.
It made a big difference! The motor now has a very strong hit in the lower mid-range - just where I want it!
The V-Force now feels very similar to the Boyeson RAD valve I had in my '96 KDX.
I was curious about this as I have the same reeds and they had the same warning. I left them alone. Maybe I will adjust them and see what it is like.
gregp

Post by gregp »

The Boyeson RAD valve did not come with any warning, but, over time, they did develope a reputation for needing frequent reed replacement, although I never had any issues with mine.
I guess it really is pretty simple - If you set them up, or design the cage so that the reeds have to flex more, they will wear out sooner (than stock). There is no free lunch!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Re: V-Force high/low reed tension settings

Post by gregp »

>QBB<[/url]
frankenschwinn wrote:>|<>QBB<I was curious about this as I have the same reeds and they had the same warning. I left them alone. Maybe I will adjust them and see what it is like.
Even though getting at, removing, and replacing the reed cage is a bit of a PITA (removing the pipe will help, but I didn't), I recommend that you try this. You may not notice much of a difference in a wide open riding area, as top end power remains largely unaffected, but once you get in the tight stuff, the difference will be immediately noticeable.
While I had it out, I took the time to trim off a portion of the "V-Force" tab (using a Dremel with a cut off wheel), and installed it right side up, but I do not believe that made any difference...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
gregp

Post by gregp »

...I have an FMF woods pipe, stock silencer, lid removed from the air box, jetting, and the power valve detent ball and spring removed...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Mine is a hybrid with a woods pipe, turbine core II silencer. Airbox removed. Jetted pretty good. Vforce II reeds/cage. I am looking for a bit more punch coming out of corners in singletrack, woods sections.
gregp

Post by gregp »

That is pretty much what I was looking for, and what I got. :-)
The only thing left would be porting, maybe, but I would guess that is only for top end, or maybe the "wing in the carb inlet" mod and the RB head mod, but I do not think that I will go that far. The motor pretty much pulls as good as I need it to.
I may start looking at race Tech Gold Valves next.... I had them in my KLX250, and loved them for sharp trail hits.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200