Shock Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
motorider200

Shock Rebuild

Post by motorider200 »

I think it is time to service my shock it getting pretty squeaky. This will be my first shock rebuild so any tips would be great. I 'm just wondering what parts I need to replace while I have it tore apart. My guess would be a the seal kit, dust seal kit, and what about the head seal should I replace it to? Anything else? Also are there any special tools needed to work on it? Oh, what wieghtkind of oil would you guys recommend. Thanks, Braden :grin:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Squeaky? Are you sure it is the shock and maybe not the linkage? If your shock is squeaking, then that can't be good.

Have you seen my pictures of when I worked on IndaWoods' shock in my gallery? That should give you an idea of what you are going to be getting into.

Without seeing the shock in question, I'd hate to over or under - guess what is worn out on your shock.

There are a few special tools that are quite helpful. You may or may not need them. I'll never do another one without the ones I have, though. They make the job a lot easier and better.

On oil, I would suggest 5w shock oil. Shock oil and fork oil are different, so please buy some shock oil for your shock. As far as brand, that may be one question that is almost, but not quite as open to wide answers as the "what kind of 2 stroke or transmission oil should I use".
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My spring squeaks. WD-40 on the big blue spring and she's quiet.
I've had my shock rebuilt and it had nothing to do with the squeaking noise.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Great tip Ski :supz: a little WD-40 on the spring and the squeak was gone :partyman: . I re-greased the linkage last week thinking it was the source, all the bearings looked Alright except for the lower shock one which was completely flattened out on one side :? . Well I'm thinking it might be a good idea to go ahead and service the shock anyway. I know for sure it hasn't been done since 2000 cause thats when I got it, so its probably never been changed :shock: . If I do go ahead and service it I'll buy the seals and dust seals But what about the head seal. Is it reusable? I'll Just take it apart as far as the manual does and I didn't see any special tools other than the spanner wrenches. Am I missing something? Thanks Guys :prayer:
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There is a dust seal, oil seal and bushing within the seal head assembly. You may want to just buy a new seal head assembly, as you may find it easier than rebuilding a seal head. There are more parts inside that need attention as well.

If you only take it apart as far as the manual says, then there is no way to rebuild the seal head.

Unless you are able to rip phone books in half with your bare hands, you may find the "push the seal head down" portion of the manual to be a bit difficult without the proper tools, especially if it has never been serviced, as it will be made in the summer of 1996 and now it is summer of 2005 (it is 9 years old). That is another reason why I say it may need more than just a seal head rebuild.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: it hasn't been done since....

It's a good idea to get it done or do it once a year or so.

Mine is due...I have been getting it done every season 1/2 or so. The difference between before and after is considerable.

You will be doing yourself a huge favor!!

As far as the DIY part...keep in mind it will need to be recharged with nitrogen. Good idea to check into that BEFORE you take it apart. Some shops will NOT recharge a shock that THEY didn't put together.

...where's that phonebook???...Aha...there it is!! All seven pages of it!!!! Done!! :lol:

AAArrrggghhhhh!!! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get 'em Lou Ferrigno, the INccREDIBLE HULK! :grin:

Yes, call around about the nitrogen. Two of my three local dealers do not do it at all.

You do not have to have the spanner wrenches to get the preload adjusting rings loose. You can use a hammer and punch or perhaps even better, a chisel ground to 90 degrees.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Not to speak for him, but Jason didn't really mention that he services shocks....Cheap.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

:prayer:

Double :prayer: :prayer:

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes he does! I shoulda threw out some props for him! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Rock on, Brother Beavis. :supz:

Thanks again for letting me work on your shock. I loves the suspensions. :lol:

EDIT/ADD-ON: I don't want to look like I am using the forums as a place just to drum up business, so I don't mention it unless someone contacts me. I don't want to overstep my boundaries. I love working on bikes, and if I can make a small amount of money to help pay for all these oddball tools while someone else saves money, then it may turn out OK for both parties.
Last edited by Anonymous on 06:21 am Jul 23 2005, edited 1 time in total.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Thats good to know Jason. I hate wokrking on Suspension. How much for a full front and rear service if you don't mind me asking?? If you don't want to say in public flip me a PM or an e-mail. Shipping time wouldn't be to bad since you in AL.
03 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Thanks for your interest. You can just click on the WWW link at the bottom of any of my posts for more general infromation. I'll send you a PM or e-mail for specifics. I'm a small fry guy, so basically the prices are for labor and oil cost only. I basically strip them down, clean and inspect, then inform the person what is good and what needs to be replaced, then go from there on ordering parts. I can't afford to have all the possible fork parts, rates of springs, Gold Valve kits, etc. in stock at this time. As you can see from a few of the pictures in my gallery, I am a firm believer in the full treatment style instead of the "NEXT! May I take your order please" style.

I'll send you a PM / e-mail in just a minute. Thanks again!

By the way, I bought my '94 KDX200 in Port St. Lucie, about 3 years ago. I think that is close to where you are.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Hey Jason I sent you a PM
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey. I got it, and I will send you a reply in minute. Thanks!