Tusk flywheel puller??

Got questions? We got answers....
bmiller

Tusk flywheel puller??

Post by bmiller »

Umm.... This doesn't fit my 2000 KDX 200.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehic ... tDetail.do
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The manual states the correct size... your link don't work.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a puller but it has been so long that I forget what the size is... will it not thread in?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I have the tusk one on my 220. Works great!
'00 KDX 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pretty sure it is reverse threaded! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bmiller

Post by bmiller »

It doesn't come close to threading on.

The puller diameter is way bigger.

I'll take pictures tonight.

Can someone post a part number for one they've used?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Just go on rmatv and sort by make and model. That's how I got mine
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The flywheel is left hand thread where the puller screws into the flywheel. I just had mine off the other day. The one that I have said that it would fit just about everything.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

27mm x 1mm LH
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:The flywheel is left hand thread where the puller screws into the flywheel. I just had mine off the other day. The one that I have said that it would fit just about everything.
Hmm... my flywheel doesn't have any threads. It's just pressed on the crank with a key and nut.

Maybe I missed something in the manual.....
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

Well,... All of you were right. The LH threads were filled with rust so I couldn't tell there were actually threads there!

Got it all off and attempted to clean it up. Think it'll work?

http://www.phospher.com/index.php/2000_ ... 0:32pm_PST
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I would put some paint on that flywheel or it will end up a rust ball even worse than it was before.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Careful with paint, it can ONLY go on the outside. I think I would skip the paint and just make sure you used a new gasket and/or a good sealant to minimize water getting in there again. And every few rides is a smart habit to always check bike for loose bolts. I am in the habit of every oil change I go around and check every bolt; fenders, seat, tank, engine, etc. Sort of a "pre-race" check even though I don't race LOL.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:I would put some paint on that flywheel or it will end up a rust ball even worse than it was before.
I'm planning on using the same paint I used on the case, cylinder and head. It's silver high-temp engine enamel.

good?
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
Coop wrote:Careful with paint, it can ONLY go on the outside. I think I would skip the paint and just make sure you used a new gasket and/or a good sealant to minimize water getting in there again. And every few rides is a smart habit to always check bike for loose bolts. I am in the habit of every oil change I go around and check every bolt; fenders, seat, tank, engine, etc. Sort of a "pre-race" check even though I don't race LOL.
I was planning on painting the outside and inside but mask off the magnetic surface and center sleeve.

Bad idea?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I wouldn't paint anything inside....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I don't see why it would hurt to paint the inside. What reasons are there? I don't even think it would hurt the magnets. Probably wouldn't stick very well. Would be hard to get it clean enough for the paint to stick well without using a solvent or something that could damage the adhesive on the magnets. Do tell why no paint. It had a zinc type coating on it from the factory. And you can't seal it enough to not draw moisture.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
skythrasher wrote:I don't see why it would hurt to paint the inside. What reasons are there? I don't even think it would hurt the magnets. Probably wouldn't stick very well. Would be hard to get it clean enough for the paint to stick well without using a solvent or something that could damage the adhesive on the magnets. Do tell why no paint. It had a zinc type coating on it from the factory. And you can't seal it enough to not draw moisture.
The cleaning part is quite difficult. As is obvious in the photos, I used a 2HP bench grinder on the wirewheel side to strip the rust off.

Tonight, I'm planning on using a small wire brush to clean the inside as well as I can. If I can do it without getting it on the magnets, I'm going to use this:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 4L4CH8KYbl

This stuff works magic but is very aggressive.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

WHY? Why introduce foreign materials in something that doesn't require it?

Less is more....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****