Replacement headlight bulbs?

Got questions? We got answers....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replacement headlight bulbs?

Post by Colorado Mike »

Anybody had any luck finding a the proper headlight bulb at a car parts place? My handy owner's manual just says it's a 12v 30w bulb. BTW, here's a tip: If you turn your headlight assy upside down when you take it off, the bulb falls out onto your concrete garage floor :evil: . I'd just like to locate a cheaper source than the stealership. Oh, and I did do a search
on the forum :grin: .
Thanks
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Replacement headlight bulbs?

Post by quailchaser »

Colorado Mike wrote:BTW, here's a tip: If you turn your headlight assy upside down when you take it off, the bulb falls out onto your concrete garage floor :evil:
Sorry, I should have posted this tip 2 months ago when I did the same thing. :oops: It might have saved you the trouble of breaking yours. :wink:

I'll check around and answer back...I think aftermarket ones are available. I really should replace mine as summer time is the time for night rides.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I didn't do a search either..but I recall this bulb to be odd, meaning you won't find a 30W of the same type available. 25W yes, but not 30W.

I imagine the bulb broke, right?

A BTW...if just the filament is out, you can solder a tab of wire across the bulb buttons on the bottom of the thing and use the other filament.

...it's a two filament bub, bot only one is used. You can't simply turn the bulb around without some socket modification.

The oem light coil won't run both filaments, in case you have the bright idea of running both (good) at the same time. Last rider I talked to that tried to run both of them with the Electrex/Moose aftermarket coil didn't have good luck, either. The lights were dim (too many watts needed, not enough watts available).

I think some Yamaha model uses the same base..but it's not 30W. I think it's 25W.

Mr. Steahly has lots-o bulbs. You could call and ask him about replacements for the oem shell. What with shipping and all it likely wouldn't be worthwhile unless you bought more than one.

That may be useless info...his website is either down or gone. His local phone# is busy, I have only seen his 800# on his website. I'll update this later if I find out more info.

Got it. It's just temporarily broke. Try it in a bit: !Clicky!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah it broke. in fact the glass broke so thoroughly it was more like powder than shards. Although I seldom ride in the dark, it's been real stormy here, and last ride I could barely see with fogged goggles, hail, and low light. Another rider coming toward me had his light on and I didn't. The trails are tight and I saw him and made room. I know he was real surprized seeing me at the last minute. If it hadn't been for his light we might have bumped. I think I'll check out the dealer.

thanks.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll tell you one thing about headlights: They help prevent head-ons on the two way trails. I wish I had stuck with the headlight instead of going with a number plate. Maybe it's time to switch back. Anyway......I know it's saved me a couple of times to see a headlight coming towards me on the trails from a few yamahas out there.

If the circuit is designed for a 30 watt bulb, I imagine a 25w bulb would run. I MIGHT burn out a bit quicker but I doubt it. That 30w rating on the coil is probably at rpms you don't normally sustain anyway.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The wattage won't matter when it comes to longevity.

You could run a 1W bulb if you wanted to. It would burn out no quicker...even if you had a gazillion watt supply.

At least, I never call Bonneville and ask them to crank down the watts cuz I've only got a 60W bulb I'm going to switch on! :roll:

The only time a circuit design would be a problem is if you are trying to run MORE watts, not less. Then you would need to consider supply (current) and maybe wire size/connection type.

Notice your car's battery is not connected to the electrical system with a piece of zip cord? ;)

Caught 'ya drinkin' agin Ski!! :partyman:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

LOL!!!
Oh Yea!
Volts, Watts, I'm so confused.
How's Prospect lookin'? I have July 1 thru the 10th off and only the 4th, 5th and 6th reserved. (Meaning I'm available for riding from the 7th to the 10th!!!!)

HiJaCK!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

A few years back, my local dealer sold me a 25W Yamaha bulb for around $6 - $8 instead of the $23 Kawasaki bulb. I think the Kawasaki bulb is around $18 at ronayers.

If you really need lights, you may want to check with rickystator.com.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

$23.00 ??? Holy Smokes! I was thinking they would rake me over the coals to the tune of $12 or $14. I guess that's why new KDX's are so cheap compared to other bikes. It's like printers, sell 'em at a loss and make it up on the cartridges. I was thinking of trying to rig up an LED unit to it, but that would be tough getting it into the reflector. Seems like it would be durable though. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Mike

'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Yep, I could only find aftermarke bulbs in 25W. They costs about $5 for a set of two, as opposed to the stock replacement for $18 from Ayers.
Last edited by quailchaser on 11:25 pm Jun 25 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Okay, the end of the story...I go to a local Honda/Kawy shop and they tell me $24.00, but they have to order it. I ask them to check to see if they have a bulb for an XR400. He can't do that. WTF? I tell them I can order it too, if I wanted to order it I wouldn't come to a bike shop (I hate this "Just in time" crap). The second shop is a Yamaha/Kawy place. Same story on the Kawy bulb, I have them look up the bulb for a WR450. bulb looks different on the screen, and costs the same. Then the dude says they have a drawer full of bulbs I can look through.

The original bulb is stamped with I think "Kiotto" as the manufacturer, and 30/30 for the wattage. It's a dual filament bulb. I found one from Stanley that has the same flange and wattage. It fits perfect and cost me $4.00 tax included. I'll try to find the part number and post it later. Meaning, after I find one of my kids to read it to me. :oops:
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Please post whatever you find. Just for nerding it up's sake, it is Kioto, I think.

The first place sounds like idiots. No wonder people use ronayers and such.
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

Hello I couldnt resist any longer. I broke my bulb and in a pinch my brother found me one to fit. Rated at 30w double fillament fits like a glove. The part I like is it is a halogen and seems much brighter. It is a factory polaris bulb for a Polaris Explorer (sorry he didnt give me a year). Ive mentioned this other places but nobody seems interested. It was 12$ my cost. I was just wondering if some one had found a better substitute for the factory bulb with no mods to the lighting system?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Brighter is better!
So, you noticed a considerable difference or only a slight difference in brightness? Is there a part number on the bulb?

BTW... Welcome to the site man! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site, Matt! This is jasonwho from youknowwhere. If you have a number for it, please do post it.

Thanks!
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

I'll get my brother to find me the number then if a couple of you could tell me what you think. I only went on one night ride with it before I broke the bulb (yep garage floor) and one night ride since, so I cant give you a durability report. I (from what I can remember from last summer) think there is a large difference in brightness. I also cant help but think there should be an aftermarket one to save some $.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Matt-itude!!!
Glad you made it here; AND starting things off with a helpful tip too, I see. Great!

Between you and Mike, we should be able to light the way without being robbed in the process.
Jerry

TD3

Post by TD3 »

I found a replacement bulb at http://www.kevinscycleracing.com under plastics. They list a UFO replacement bulb for $5.95 :shock: It may be worth looking into.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Great resource that Kevin's! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

OK like I said I didnt have much time with the stock bulb before I broke it so im hoping some one will try this and tell me what they think. Mabey we can cross the number to a more inexpesive aftermarket bulb. The only thing that I know it fits is a 96 polaris explorer. polaris pn. 4030055. some one give me there .02 on this swap. Polaris list is 14.99 full price.