Motul 800 2T oil - "Offroad" vs "Road"

Got questions? We got answers....
heckler

Motul 800 2T oil - "Offroad" vs "Road"

Post by heckler »

so, I ordered Motul 800 2T oil from Gnarlyparts.ca (A local dirtbike store) - got it delivered in 2 days. Super happy about that but....

They sell the "road" version, which is more viscous than the "offroad" version of the same oil. They don't sell the "offroad"

Motul says to use Offroad for Offroad and Road for Road. Duh.

So, should I avoid the "road" oil??? It's orange instead of red. I already have half a jug of gas with "offroad" red that I already filled up with gas and need to put in oil before using it.

Why the hell is this so complicated?

Here's the specs from Motul:

http://www.motul-canada.com/en/products ... ad_TDS.pdf

http://www.motul-canada.com/en/products ... ad_TDS.pdf
heckler

Post by heckler »

the "offroad" is marked ester and the "road" is marked double ester on the bottle.

What's the difference?
heckler

Post by heckler »

OK, I guess I'm just being anal.

A friend tells me ester is not good for the kips valve - true? I haven't been able to find anyone online saying that.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

True
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It will most likely run clean, but it's made to have castor like film strength at extended WOT temps/pressures. Will most likely spoo a lot, but shouldn't gum up like castor. If you're ordering oil oder the red, or amsoil interceptor, IMO. Don't fill up the half-can, just run it out.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:It will most likely run clean, but it's made to have castor like film strength at extended WOT temps/pressures. Will most likely spoo a lot, but shouldn't gum up like castor. If you're ordering oil oder the red, or amsoil interceptor, IMO. Don't fill up the half-can, just run it out.
>|<>QBB<
heckler wrote: I already have half a jug of gas with "offroad" red that I already filled up with gas and need to put in oil before using it.
The way I read what the OP posted is that he had a half can of pre-mix and has already added more gas to it so he needs to add more oil to it before he runs it. If that is the case, do not just run it out because there isn't enough oil in it.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
heckler

Post by heckler »

yup, David got it right. I bought a new bottle of Offroad 800 yesterday and will be returning the Road 800.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

BTW, I'm no chemist, but the 'ester' part is the main base ingredient in synthetic 2T oils. There are of course tons on ingredients to make up xyz synth oil, but the synthetic ester is the core lube. 'Double ester' in the road again is intended for brutally harsh righ-rpm use most likely to reduce 'cooking, oil break-down, etc. Castor is still the best at this, but these new synthetics are right there without having the hassle of running pure castor. Mosta applications for an oil like this (karts, GP bikes), there will be no power valve (even in a CR125 kart, they remove it), or a power valved that's govererned WAY higher than we're used to...They are simply never under the PV engagement RPM at any point on a race track except a standing start...LOL.
heckler

Post by heckler »

what I don't understand is why people say ester oil is bad for the KIPS with no explanation.

Especially when the Motul literature states "Prevents piston rings and exhaust power valves from sticking."

Is Motul lieing, or is there a lack of data proving ester is bad for the KIPS?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It's not. Ester=synthetic, period. just too much ester base oil for your application could create a mess. IE this 'double ester' ultra high film strength, beat the **** out of your motor, high-rpm oil is not the one to use for low-mid RPM woods work.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:It's not. Ester=synthetic, period. just too much ester base oil for your application could create a mess. IE this 'double ester' ultra high film strength, beat the **** out of your motor, high-rpm oil is not the one to use for low-mid RPM woods work.

Very true. I have been running Klotz R50 in my hydroplanes for 25+ years. I run Klotz Motorcycle TechniPlate TC-W3 in our motorcycles.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Klotz makes good stuff, and some of the only methanol compatible synthetics. I liked the super techniplate with my karts.