Kdx 200 questions

Got questions? We got answers....
kdx78

Kdx 200 questions

Post by kdx78 »

Just bought the bike about three months ago and it is great for the trails I ride. I have a couple questions, I live in Nh and it would be fairly easy to be street legal, but the title says off road only. Does that mean it cannot be registered for the road?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Most states have a process by which you can add the equipment required for street legality (ie: brake light, mirrors, high beam, etc.) then have your machine inspected by the RMV to get a street title issued. This varies from state to state, so you will have to begin by asking questions at your DMV.
You could always register the bike in VT (they will street register any bike under 300cc's without a title), then take that valid street registration and transfer it to NH. I have done this myself, but be forewarned that it takes some money. You may have to pay sales tax twice. If you start balking at that, or anything else during the process, it will come to a grinding halt.
VT will send you the registration, and a plate right to your door if you do it right. You do own a camp in VT, right? ;-)
Once you transfer the plate to NH, you will still have to add all of the equipment to make it street legal, and go through your inspection process, plus pay the registration fee (again) and the title fee, as well as insurance.
All it takes is money and patience!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
kdx78

Post by kdx78 »

Thanks that helps me out. The dealership said that they could put everything I need to be street legal for 200 bucks on the bike but I dident want to get all of the equiptment and not be able to get a plate because of the title.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I live in NY and was looking into that also. I was reading on a VT DOT web site something about the bike now has to be LARGER than 200 cc so I just pretty much gave up. My last KDX that I bought in 96 was registered in VT so I do not know? Could you put up what you find out?
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Sure its not 200cc and above? In OK you cannot put anything smaller than a 250 on highway.
gregp

Post by gregp »

*Positive* - They will register anything under 300cc's without a title. At least that was the rule a year or so ago.
You can also *oopsie!* make a mistake - and your DR350 is a 250, with 249cc's, and your CR500 could be a 250, again with 249cc's. You get the idea....
They will ask for your VT drivers lisence #, so make sure you write down you real lisence # and put (NH) or (MA) or (ME) next to it. It did not stop the plate from coming to my house.
Once you get the VT registration, at the very bottom of the 81/2"x11" paper it is printed on, it will say something like "You must now procure insurance for this vehicle". This will pose a problem if you choose to keep and run the VT registration because I could not find an insurance company that would insure my bike with a MA lisence and a VT reg., hence the transfer to MA (for me).
I ended up paying 6% tax n VT, and 5% in MA (now 6.25%?). Like I said, balk at the money and you risk the whole process. These government entities just want the money! :roll:
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Like i meant to say, I didn't look to deep into it. The main place I ride requires you to be registered so I was just thinking that I would try to put it "on the road" instead of just registering it for off road. I could be completely wrong. I would love to get it registered for the road if I could. My girl friend is still a VT resident so it wouldn't be to hard to do. I was looking into it in about June.
scdarcy

Post by scdarcy »

I live in NH and all I did was install a FRP brake light harness,a Walmart bicycle horn and mirror. Took it to a garage that did bike inspections,they checked it out for a NH inspection,they gave me some paper that said it was cnverted to street legal.I took that and my title to my town clerk and 30 minutes later I rode it back to the garage and they stickered it.they did mention I should get some DOT tires, knobbies are a little skattie at high speeds in the corners.
scdarcy

Post by scdarcy »

Are you on the seacoast
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
scdarcy wrote:Are you on the seacoast
If you meant me, no.
scdarcy

Post by scdarcy »

kdx78
kdx78

Post by kdx78 »

Nope I'm in the nashua area. Any places to ride down there?
debonable

Kdx 200 questions

Post by debonable »

Any Updates on this topic? looking to try this out in New York, Is the VT registration still an option?

The guy at NY DMV didn't seem so reassuring but he also said he has no idea about this loop hole
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kdx 200 questions

Post by rbates9 »

You can do it in vt. Get the bike ready, turn signals, horn, break lights etc. It has to be completely legal. Then bring your bill of sale and checkbook to the VT DMV and register it. You may have to get it pre inspected at an inspection station before you can register it. After you get it done just go back and get it inspected at the VT inspection station and you are good to go. After you get it registered you can take the registration to pretty much any state.
I would suggest getting an appointment at the inspection place then bring the bike there on the same trip you can get it done at DMV also
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Kdx 200 questions

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome back, rbates9! :partyman:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Jason wrote:Welcome back, rbates9! :partyman:
Hello Jason! How are ya?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am doing fairly well. Thanks for asking. How have you been, stranger?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kdx 200 questions

Post by rbates9 »

I've been pretty good. Just got busy with life And what not. Still trying to ride when I can but I don't get to very often anymore. Maybe if spring ever comes I might get some free time again
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Kdx 200 questions

Post by SS109 »

Good to see ya man!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Kdx 200 questions

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks! :partyman:

Wow you're still around too ss109! I am going to have to get on and look around when I get a minute