Kickstarter Question (need to replace kickstarter)

Got questions? We got answers....
james12wsu

Kickstarter Question (need to replace kickstarter)

Post by james12wsu »

I have a 98 KDX 200 (the h model) and my kickstarter is causing me some problems. The "knuckle" (I think it's also called a "boss") is starting to wear down, causing my kickstarter to swing too far out. I've even had the snap ring fall off during a ride this weekend (luckily we found it and got it back on). My good buddy put a little weld on the corner of the knuckle from the last time this happened, but I think it's now time to just get a whole new assembly.

I know there are some other kickstarter levers that will fit the KDX, but I think my problem is more related to the knuckle/boss than the kickstarter lever itself, but I figure I might as well get a whole new assembly while I'm at this.

I've heard a lot about the FRP kickstarter, and I'm interested in that, but I'm not sure exactly what parts I'd need to get if I went that route.

When I look at the OEM parts list, I can get the OEM knuckle, the 2 O-rings that go under the kickstarter lever, the kickstarter itself, the washer and circlip that hold the kickstarter lever to the knuckle, the ball, spring and screw for the kickstarter lever (544818-001 (the whole assemly)). So I get that if I want to go OEM, just buy the whole assembly and I get everything new down to the shaft, except for the nut that holds the knuckle on the shaft.

So here's my question: if I want to get the FRP kickstarter, what else do I still have to get OEM? Do I buy everything OEM except for the kickstarter lever itself, or can I leave some other parts off that list?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If the "knuckle" has worn down that much the lever is probably worn down just as much. Try welding to both sides and reshaping them to fit square together. As far as FRP goes I have no idea, sorrey.
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

99 kx250 Knuckle and 2002 KX125 lever:

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A search revealed-

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405

But to answer your original question, if you go the FRP route you may or may not need to get a new knuckle depending on the condition of yours. You could probably weld yours and re-shape it.

I've done both FRP and screwed around with the OEM stuff.

The KX OEM stuff is the way to go in my opinion.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy