Skid Plate Issue

Got questions? We got answers....
Ipaman

Skid Plate Issue

Post by Ipaman »

I recently got a 97 KDX220 and it came with a skid plate. I took it out yesterday for its first ride and I had a problem with the skid plate. My foot was constantly hitting it when I was trying to shift. I wear work boots which are pretty wide in the front, so that might be the issue. I'm thinking of either removing or trimming the plate with an angle grinder. Anyone ever have this issue?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yep. I had to trim mine as well. No big deal, though.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

My buddy with a 03 220 had the same problem. He trimmed his...
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

Okay, good to know. Every time I went to shift I would be on the skid. It made it very difficult to shift gears.
heckler

Post by heckler »

rotate the shifter on the shaft to prevent it? No problems here with a size 10 foot.
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Is that on the skid plate with the "wings" on the side? I decided to go with the plain old glide plate with no side coverage for that reason. Looks like the ears on the frame do a good job of protecting the side cases.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

Yeah it is the one with the wings. They come out past the stock ears and my foot just gravitates to it. I thought I could get used to it, but it is clearly in the way.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I had trouble with up-shifts, as the sole of my boot (the toe) would get caught under it. It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal, but, trust me, it is.
I also had trouble with an aftermarket shift lever (Moose), because the splines were in a slightly different orientation to the rest of the lever, and I could not get it exactly where I wanted it. I went back to the stock lever almost immediately. Some of us are picky like that.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

I took the skid plate off and might just run without it. It kinds feels heavy.
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
Ipaman wrote:I took the skid plate off and might just run without it. It kinds feels heavy.
Good idea, and soon your bike will be lighter due to all the oil that drains out of the hole punched through it.

A word of wisdom from a guy that's been doing this for a long-long time...
armour up brother!, plan for the worse and hope for the best!

The weight of that skid plate is nothing compared to walking back to the truck... or worse yet being towed out 30 miles... or the final insult... riding bitch on your buddies bike and being the laughing stock for ever.

Armour up!
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

I hear ya. I guess I'll trim her up and get it back on before the weekend.
bigene
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by bigene »

hey guys- I ordered a skid plate for my KDX & was unhappy with the small size & lack of coverage so i deceided to make my own out of a mud flap from a semi trailer- not the flappy kind- the hard plastic "no sail" kind. I just took a piece of cardboard & held it under my bike & started trimming till I got the perfect fit. it took me a couple of try's but i got it to cover everything the alum. plates cover & more. plus, its held on by 4 hose clamps, only 2 of whitch you have to remove to change oil- it really works great & its as least as tough as the alum. ones with the added benefit of being very lite as well
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
bigene wrote:hey guys- I ordered a skid plate for my KDX & was unhappy with the small size & lack of coverage so i deceided to make my own out of a mud flap from a semi trailer- not the flappy kind- the hard plastic "no sail" kind. I just took a piece of cardboard & held it under my bike & started trimming till I got the perfect fit. it took me a couple of try's but i got it to cover everything the alum. plates cover & more. plus, its held on by 4 hose clamps, only 2 of whitch you have to remove to change oil- it really works great & its as least as tough as the alum. ones with the added benefit of being very lite as well
Let's see some photos!