Rear wheel bearring install?

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

Rear wheel bearring install?

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I'm planning out what I need for the resto modded 89 kdx 200 I'm doing for this winters project and number one on the list is rear wheel bearrings.is there any special tools or anything ill need to put these in?I'm having the rims powder coated and don't want to damage the wheels or the the bearrings.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I have always just used a socket as close to the outter diameter as I can to install rear wheel bearings. Even in the early 2000's when I worked in shops that's what we did.

My 2003 needs them, I am installing them Wednesday and plan to do the same thing.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Any tips or tricks you have to offer about the install id appreciate.I've not done them yet.what about the adjustments anything I need to know or watch for?
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Whne installing them:
Put them in the freezer for a few hours first (to shrink them)
Heat the hub with a propane torch...careful not to cook it
Apply some grease in the socket "sleeve" in the hud
Tap it in with a same sized socekt as the outside diameter of the bearing
MAKE SURE you tap it in evenly...don't let it get cocked in their crooked
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

How about removing them? I am thinking of doing mine. I assume you just knock them out with a socket, but wasn't sure.
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Well they sit on a "lip" that prevents removing them with the socket technique. They only come out one side, that is the side they are in. I generally use a long drift or I have an old worn out long 1/2" extension I like to use. Tap in a circle to start the bearing moving evenly and not on an angle. Only once in 30 years I have had to use a press to remove wheel bearings. That was on a 1989 KX250 I bought around 1997. They were severely galled in there and I was worried the hub was going to break before they came out haha.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

True...reach through the center of the hub with a long punch, extension, screwdriver and beat it out the other side. MAKE SURE you clean up around the bearing as there is a circlip that holds it in. Heat the hub up before you remove it...maybe it helps. Beat it our in en even, circular fashion.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
heckler

Post by heckler »

install is easy peasy with anti-sieze or grease on the outside diameter. Just tap them in.

Removal has one trick - the tube that's between the inner races inside your hub. The hub has a cast detail on only one side which centers this steel tube. The other side of the hub doesn't have the centering feature. You need to tap the ID of the tube so that it moves off the center line so you can hit the back side of the bearing with your punch, but you can only do this on one side.

I forget which side. You might be able to look it up in the parts manuals online if they show a cross section.
heckler

Post by heckler »

oh yeah! make sure you remove the circlip before you beat on teh bearings. It's only on one side.
heckler

Post by heckler »

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... p/Rear_Hub

shows the tube 92027 and the C-clip. But it doesn't show the inner detail of the hub. You can only tap the tube off center on one side of the hub.

(well, at least on my 2001 and 2005 you can't)
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Nice!thanks
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I did the front and rear wheel bearings today. Piece of cake. They have been in there for awhile so they were pretty rusty/nasty, but with a few sharp hits of the ball peen hammer and drift they came right out. There is a clip on one side of each wheel, so make sure you remove that. Otherwise I had front and rear done in an hour. And I have a bad back (two back surgeries).
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Good to know.I've got to order them.