Tail light/brake light issues :(

Got questions? We got answers....
KdxRiderX

Tail light/brake light issues :(

Post by KdxRiderX »

Greetings,
I'm in the process of getting my 1997 KDX 220 street legal.

I'm having issues with my brake light/tail light though . . .

Here's my setup - I bought a wiring harness from ProCycle; I have a Sylvania 1157 dual filament bulb - we have that wired in for 1 filament for the running light and 2 filaments light up when the brake is on.

This is what we're seeing though:
- Everything plugged in: brake light is on even when the brake isn't being applied
- When pulling the connector for the running/tail light - brake light works when I push on the lever
- When pulling the connector for the brake light and having the tail light connected - nothing is on

Using a multi-meter to check for continuity:
- Positive to brake light - only get continuity when pressed - expected result
- Positive to tail light - continuity - expected result
- Brake light to tail light - nothing
- Brake light to tail light and brake is pressed - continuity

From testing with the multi-meter, the results seem to be correct/expected . . .

What am I missing/doing wrong? :(

It seems like the tail light doesn't want to function - but the continuity tests show that at least the wiring is okay . . . is there a chance I'm using the wrong bulb or something? I'm running this off the bike's power (AC) - is there a chance that this setup doesn't work for AC applications?

Thanks in advance :)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you have both filaments for the brake light it could be back feeding to the tail light? :hmm: The bulb should have a low output (tail light) and a high output (brake light). Do you have the brake light wire going to both terminals in the socket?