info on exhaust?

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

info on exhaust?

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Can anyone tell me what they know about the dyno port header I have?ii can'ti seem to find much info on it?the bike came with it and its retarded fast for a 200cc imo.but how does it compare to the other headers out there?I've been out on the net and can't find much on it anyone else running one? :supz:
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

No ones familiar with this header?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Dynoport makes a good pipe. They are not as popular as the FMF or PC pipes, though. They were popular for odd makes - Can-Am's, ATK's, older Husqvarna's, etc..
I could not tell you how it compares to an FMF woods or rev pipe, though.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Hmmm... can anyone else comment on how they compare?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Some folks swear by them. They were not a popular option for the E series KDX's, though, so I do not know if you will find anybody who has actual experience with any sort of comparison.
If I had to guess, I would say that they are pretty similar in performance to the FMF Desert, and Pro Circuit pipes.
The same could be said for Bill's pipes, and the DG options.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Good to know since I was considering an fmf as its replacement.I think ill media blast and powder coat this one.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I was not a fan of the FMF on my 93 E series,if your looking to replace it Pro Circuit would be my first choice followed by DG.

I'm curious as to how the dynoport pipe performs,From my understanding they were a company that if they made something they made it well and not just for the sake of bringing it to market.If your close to NJ I'd be willing to let you try my PC pipe while my bike is apart.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm really happy with my DG. I have an FMF out in the garage I keep meaning to bolt up, to see how it compares. I have no experience with the dynoport on the KDX, but I do know they make good pipes.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Found this out inside the interwebs:

"The best pipe and silencer combo for the KDX is the Dyno Port
system.I ran one for years and it really woke up the bottom and
mid range.Not to mention it is tough as nails.If you are not
familiar with Dyno Port do a Google search.

Fullbore "
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Unfortunately I got the bike with the exhaust and have nothing to compare it to and I added a pro circuit silencer since the one on it left a lot to be desired..it does get right on down the trails and riverbanks in quite a hurry and sounds good too.this one has a few dents and dings but overall its in good condition.speaking of the dents can these be removed before I have this pipe powder coated?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, you can remove the dents and dings with a little air pressure and a torch. You will have to make up some plugs for the two ends of the pipe, and fashion a way to pressurize it with 50 PSI or so of air. The slowly heat up the dented area's and they will slowly pop back out.
I have repaired many pipes this way. It is Ok if you have air leaks when you pressurize the pipe. As long as you have some pressure in there, the dents will push out.
Others have mentioned "the freezer method", but I have never tried it. It involves filling your pipe up with water, about half way, then placing the pipe in the freezer.
The air pressure/torch method seems to give you more control over the process. JMO.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Very nice I've never heard of either way but ill see how they work.can u overheat it and do any damage?
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes! You can blow a hole right through the pipe wall with the torch, but you really have to be inattentive to do that. If you pressurize the pipe first, you will see the dent blowing out as soon as the metal starts turning red. Do not heat it up to "white" hot. Keep the torch tip far away from the pipe, and only move it in closer if you need to "localize" the repair.
It is really pretty easy. The hardest part is building the plugs, particularly around the entry end. If you google "2 stroke pipe repair" you will find many images of setups that folks have made. Rubber expansion type plugs can blow out (So beware! They shoot out like a shotgun shot!), but they do work.
You may aslo find small leaks in the pipe, if you have sharp creases in the pipe. Do not try to weld these up with pressure in the pipe, or you may end up with a bigger hole than when you started.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Yea I went to the parts store tonight to look and see what they had off the shelf I could use and think I found something that may work and if so wanted to pass it on.I found a rubber expansion plug used for repairing freeze plugs in engines.seems capping it off would the hard part.what you guys think will it work
gregp

Post by gregp »

Yes, that should work. I had to make up a collar that slipped over the exhaust flange, that had 6 thumb screws to keep it there, with a cap that was bolted on to it for an air tight seal. It took a couple of hours of lathe work. I have since lost it, apparently...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200