Headlight switch sticks...

Got questions? We got answers....
Coop
Supporting Member

Headlight switch sticks...

Post by Coop »

I admit electrical has always been my weak link when it comes to bikes. It's one reason I decided to take EET as a major because I really want to understand it better.

Anyway my switch for the headlights sticks. If you push it in, it clicks and the headlight and tail light work (now that I put new bulbs in). But it won't return back out, you have to grab it and pull it out. Then it will click and the lights go out.

So my questions is, could this just be dirty and something that can be cleaned, or does it sound like the switch is bad?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, I can't remember if the stock switch is able to be cleaned or not. I removed mine over a year ago and run a custom switch setup now (hi/low beam) and I have it packed away somewhere so I don't know. Sorry.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

That's ok, thanks for the reply. I think I might just try. It doesn't work properly now so if I ruin it, I would replace it eventually anyway because it's annoying the way it is haha.

Any info on the switch you are running now?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

So no spring in this switch. So is the spring just missing? I cleaned it, but it still doesn't work. Here are some crappy cell phone pics:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

I never did figure out why mine didn't wotk. A member here sold me one for $5 and it works great. I was very tempted to tear it apart to see what was missing on mine but I didn't want two broken switches so I resisted that urge LOL' :mrgreen:

2003 KDX200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:wink:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I removed the switch entirely
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Do you have it wired so your lights are just always one? I looked at your bike and I see in the pic it has a headlight...

2003 KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yes they are always on, like they should be :wink:

I was always bumping the damn switch and riding without the light on
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

The place I ride is all one way trails (pay to ride club, not much else around here) so I wasn't worried about being more visible to oncoming riders because there are none. I want the light just in case I get lost, have a mechanical, etc. and get stuck out after dark.

2003 KDX200