I think I like my stock fork springs better...

Got questions? We got answers....
exbee

I think I like my stock fork springs better...

Post by exbee »

After buying my KDX last year, everything I read here and other places about the stock fork springs on the 250 (91-94) said they were far too soft. With this information I proceeded to order some 0.46kg/mm Race Tech springs before spending any time on the bike. Ideally they should have been 0.44s but they didnt' have that rate. I rode the bike with the RTs for a while but found it too stiff. Recently I decided to try it with the stockers for a while....after a few rides it turns out that I like the feel of the bike better and I have more control. Granted I'm new to off road and probably don't know good from bad so well but did anyone else find the stockers better for their style of riding?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

they might suit you fine for now, but as you get better, and faster you might need to get the stiffer spring...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Maybe they were not the stock springs to begin with?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
exbee

Post by exbee »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Maybe they were not the stock springs to begin with?
You could be right...and I've wondered that. I have two sets of stock KDX 250 springs and they both look identical to the RT ones. My local suspension shop told me they were stock but I have no idea how they'd tell...they didn't test the rates with a guage. It could be that I just ended up with two bikes that had replacement springs already installed.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sometimes they are stamped or marked on one end
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gregp

Post by gregp »

I put XR400 springs in mine (0.48's?). The bike turned better with the stock springs, but as speeds increase, I really couldn't live with the super soft stock springs.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

You can check the spring rates roughly yourself. Put 50 lbs on the spring and see how far it compresses. You can do some math and get the rates or just very easily see which spring deflects more/less.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S