What Front Tire???

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What Front Tire???

Post by jafo »

I got a Maxxis MX tire on this KX rim when I bought it. Good tire, meaning not worn out, but I'd like to explore more options on front tires. Most of the terrain I ride in is either mud with rock or dry dirt with rock. Depends on the time of year. So what type of front tires do you all run and what kind of terrain do use them in?

Jon.
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

Michelin S12 is a great tire in sand/mud and I use it on ocassional rocky trails too. But it is not for rocks all the time or the knobs chunk.

Phil
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup, S12 at 12 psi works for everything I run my KX front end through. If you get one, it's directional so be aware when you mount it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

After Michelin's stunt at the F1 race (parade actually) that I wasted a bunch of money attending :evil: , I won't ever buy another product from them. Any non-frog tire suggestions are welcome.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I don't watch formula one so I have no idea what you are talking about. What happened? What does it have to do with dirt biking?

Just wondering what happend in a totally unrelated sport that was so bad it would bias you against a proven tire product?

Around here the S12 is the most popular offroad tire there is.

Phil
With S12's front and rear despite anything that might happen in F1, nascar, drag racing or anything else that has nothing to do with dirt biking :wink:
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

Never mind, just looked it up in the net. That is a shame the race was ruined.

But the S12 is still the best dirt bike tire for me :grin:

Phil
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I like the S12 rear, M12 front for just about everything. A little squirrely in the rocks, but the rear takes little chunks instead of rounding, still leaving an edge.

I heard about the F1 debacle and was thinking how pissed I'd be if I spent time, vacation and money on the trip. Sounds like Michelin didn't show up with the right tires, couldn't get the FIA to break the rules for them, then pulled all their riders. Sorry man.

I've also been planning on giving the Maxxis IT a shot.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maxxis IT suck, I have a set that wsjkawasaki pulled off near new after about 50 miles. They are narrower than other tires. Yes, I measured several. Do yourself a favor, stay away from those tires. Maxxis is made by Cheng Shin. If that doesn't scare you off, then it should.

On F1, thanks for the heads up, Colorado Mike. I see where a whoping 6 out of 20 cars in the starting field raced in front of 130,000 people. How lame.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

i have had good results with my maxxis IT. and they are fairly economical. however i think i would like to try a differnt front tire, it has washed a few times, but it is 2 years old.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I really feel bad for all the international fans that came. They spent thousands, I only spent about $700.00 for my air fare and expenses. If anyone wants to read more about the whole thing, go to http://www.planetf1.com for a little more objectivity than you'll find on http://www.formula1.com .

I think the thing that shocks me the most is that Ralf Schumacher (Toyota, Michellin) hit the wall after a tire failure on Thursday, and was unable to get medical clearance to drive in the race. His brother Michael (Ferrari, on Bridgestone tires), could have strengthened his image to a lot of people (fans and drivers) in my opinion if he had pulled out of the race with the other drivers in solidarity. He made $80 M last year, and probably $60 M for the last 5, so he doesn't need the cash, he's won the championship 7 times, seems to me he had everything to lose by starting the race. If he had pulled out, I think there would have been a little bit better chance that the race would have gotten black flagged, and maybe a little sanity would have set in.

The drivers offered a compromise in putting a chicane in the fastest straight to get the speed down to a safer level, and I heard everybody but Ferrari approved that. I also heard that 7 of the 10 teams would like to break away from the existing F1 governing body, so if true, there have bad been things brewing for a while. I think that the parties involved simply chose the US venue to have a showdown because: 1) Europeans don't give a rat's a$$ about America; and 2) If they tried to pull this crap in their own countries, they'd have riots and fatalities. Just look at what happens at soccer games when the score doesn't go their way.

Anyway, it just rubs me the wrong way seeing a bunch of ridiculously over-paid prima donnas on an ego trip screwing over the little guy that saves his money all year for a vacation that turns into a fiasco for him. I'm speaking of others here, not me, I was only out a little, and I got to see my Dad and brother on Father's day, so I won out in more important ways. But I saw literally thousands of people from far away countries that paid big to have their faces slapped by Michellin and F1 management. I'll not be supporting that behavior - nor will my family - in the future.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
lankytim

Post by lankytim »

Sorry to hear you (understandably) didn't enjoy the F1, Mike. I am sure some heads are rolling at Michelin as a result of the event, even if it didn't end up meaning 7 teams had to abort the race.
What I don't understand is, after offering to forfeit points and start from the back of the grid if a chicane was emplaced on turn 13, why didn't the Michelin teams just drive slower through that corner? I know it sounds like a stupid thing to do, but it would have effected the same result on paper, plus the spectators would have got to see the Michelin cars fight among themselves... I'm just glad I didn't stay up til 3am to watch it!

Anyone here going to see the MotoGP at Laguna Seca? Perhaps to cheer the Bridgestone teams on? Sounds like Team Red Bull Suzuki will get some extra support with Bridgestones and two American riders, as might Kawasaki :grin:
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

Maxis IT on the rear and Dunlop 756 on the front, I have not ridden long enough to try to many different set up's but I am impressed with each, and have no plans to change!
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac