I believe the time has come...for a new Top End :o(

Got questions? We got answers....
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

I believe the time has come...for a new Top End :o(

Post by 92kdxRider »

I went out for no more than an hour this past weekend on Sunday after my riding buddy stupidly left the key in the on position on his Raptor 700. Its fuel injected so we couldn't bump start it and it required a constant volt charger which took way too long. So as a "i'm sorry i screwed up" move, he offered to tote my bike an hour away from his place with his truck to a special spot I know of he hadn't been to. Long story short after no more than 20 mins of riding between the two of us. I noticed these two things:

1) A significant amount of oily residue dripping down the side of Airbox underneath the side number plate.
2) An even MORE significant amount of oily residue coming out of the exhaust port behind the expansion chamber.

The oil was very dark which leads me to believe its crankcase oil, not gas/oil premix. This in turn leads to beleive i have a sh*t ton of blow by going on in my motor. I had noticed some "spooge" like substance dripping down the airbox before, but never out of the exhaust port.

As a back story, ever since i got the bike in July i noticed it was definitely easy to kick, a little too easy. Even a couple friends had commented on its lack of compression. Up until recently i chalked it up to a previously welded expansion chamber that may be leaking, and possibly just a semi-worn top end. Its at this point now that I'm thinking my rings and/or top end are completely shot :sad:

I have no clue how i should go about ordering parts for this thing, without inspecting the cylinder walls how do I know if its in need of an overbore? So, obviously, I can't order a top end kit without tearing it down (which should happen this weekend). My other thought/question is, i've heard an a few posts that you can't overbore a KDX200 at all due to the KIPS...is this true? Would it be possible to just take a little out of the cylinder to clean it up? or can it be cleaned up well enough without really removing any material? Also, is everyone pretty much in agreement that Wiseco is the way to go for an E-series KDX?

I'm also still extremely un-familiar with the KIPS system in general. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable doing top end or rebuilding the KIPS by myself. It still seems like this mystical part of my engine that may or may not be even working properly at the momment. I'm pretty much lost guys, and kind of surprised that this happened since the guy i got it off of said it "had a fresh top end last year". Any guidance or advise would be greatly appreciated. As you can probably tell i'm a little frazzled by the current situation my bike is in.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Crankcase oil is premix. Remember on 2 strokes the lower end is lubed by premix. There is no crankcase oil. This is spoo plain and simple. Your jetting is off I suspect and I would also check the condition of your reeds and air filter.

I can start my KDX with my hand. If your bike starts easy, I doubt it needs a topend but you can run a compression check to verify that part of it. Also, change the packing in your silencer.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
92kdxRider
Supporting Member

Post by 92kdxRider »

Inda once again you come to my rescue. I thought for sure I had a serious problem on my hands. I've never felt like sucha NOOB :mrgreen:

I guess its just plain old spooge then. My air filter is fresh, I'll check to see if it needs a cleaning but I know for a fact my silencer is in desperate need of a re-packing and my jetting is probably off. I'll hafta pull the reed cage out and check that as well. I do remember there being some spooge where it mates to the cylinder head. Is it common for these motors to just be that easy to kick? I don't ever remember my 4-stroke or any of my friends 2 stroke MX bikes being that easy i.e. requiring less force to kick. I'll also probably take your advise and do a compression check just to be on the safe side.

Another thought, it was just after my buddy had taken the bike around that i noticed the spooge. He's a big guy and hadn't been on two wheels in a while so he was just going slow around the track in second gear. He said he was keeping it in the power band but could his low speed high rpm riding have produced more spooge than normal?

Once again thanx Inda, I'll definitely be sorting all this stuff out in hopes of getting rid of my spooge problem.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX has a longer kicker compared to MX bikes and MX bikes also do have more compression. It is only a 200 motor. Leverage...

Don't let your big buddy ride it... :mrgreen: Not that he caused any harm but it sounds like he wasn't keeping it cleared out. The KDX will run forever in those conditions but I like to keep mine cleared out. It will cause more spoo like that.

I think you can get it sorted out for nothing or a few bucks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "