Trials tires vs MX tires.....

Got questions? We got answers....
sscooter
Supporting Member

Trials tires vs MX tires.....

Post by sscooter »

Im seeing a lot of guys running trials type rears with knobby fronts.

My KDX will be mostly trail ridden, and the trails around here (minnesota) consist of everything from loose sand, gravel, hardpack, rocks, boulders...basically, you name it. Oh, and it can get pretty muddy sometimes....

Here's one of the trail systems the bike will see frequently.

*random youtube vid I found of St. Croix*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO4GwQLh ... re=related

What this bike will most likely NOT see is a motocross track.

Im wondering what you guys "in the know" would recommend for tires?

Trials Rear with a Michelin S12 front??? I dig the feel the S12 gave me on my buddies CR125, but his rear tire (hard and worn out) sucked.

thanks for the advice!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

You need a ''sand'' rear tire for the conditions in your vid link.

A NEW Michelin S-12 combo works perfect in those conditions.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

yea, you dont need a trials at all for that. trials have no side knobs and because the treads are so close together, they plug up real easy which can decrease braking. I'd run a knob.....they'll have side grip, be able to dig and clean themselves out real easy.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Try a trials tire. What have you got to lose? If you do a lot of high speed, i'd go mt43. You can pick one up for under $70 if you find it on sale, and if you don't like it, it will re-sell just fine. I had a trials tire on when I rode hatfield mccoy last year, and there were many trails similar to your vid. Wide and fast. I had no trouble. There is some decreased braking from the rear, you just compensate from the front, and brake slide the rear a lot more.

Anyway, i ride in every condition you can think of. Sandy spots, red clay, roots, rocks and mud. I'm completely hooked on the trials tires.
sscooter
Supporting Member

Post by sscooter »

thanks for the replies guys..

I guess my question should be rephrased, particularly to you juliend..

What do you like about your trials rear above a knobby?

Is it the traction?, or higher miles between tire changes? Im not a rich man, so the longer I can use a tire and still feel Im benefiting from it, the better. Once it starts getting sketchy, its gone.

and yeah, I do like the higher-speed stuff. The vid I posted, really doesn't show the variety of terrain at even that particular state park. There is quite a bike of rocky, tight, hard stuff as well. I think that park is around 40-45 miles of trails with around half of it being in the rocky woods.

anyway... aren't tire posts great!?
:cool:
thanks again
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I like the insane traction
I like the incredibly long wear

cons... um. I have none, really. It looks kinda sissy? hahaha

MT43 is probably my favorite tire. Although I do want to try the dunlop on my bike. I've ridden it on other bikes, and i prefer the compromise of the mt43. The MT43 is not a true trials tire, it's a "trials type" tire, developed specifically for trail riding and DS. It sacrifices some of that insane sticky grip for a bit more stability. Works out perfect for my riding style, since it does well on single track, and just as well wide open on fire roads. It even holds up just fine on asphalt.
swatts

Post by swatts »

I have a Pirelli MT 43 now for over a year. Only con is braking, especially loose, steep, dusty hills. Great traction, great durability, great tire all conditions I'd say.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I don't have any sand or deep mud where I ride, but can't beat a trials tire for everything else. Like a suction cup on wet, slimey (or dry) rocks and roots. Wears forever.
They're not so good if your a devout tire spinner on a 250 2T or a big bore 4T. Excessive spinning will tear them up pretty quick.
But trials tires and a KDX just seem to complement each other.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
KDX4ID
Supporting Member

Post by KDX4ID »

>|<>QBB<
swatts wrote:I have a Pirelli MT 43 now for over a year. Only con is braking, especially loose, steep, dusty hills. Great traction, great durability, great tire all conditions I'd say.
I had the same problem with my Pirelli. Switched to the Michelin and it helped somewhat, but I think it's the nature of the beast.
CURRENT FLEET
2008 KTM 990 Adventure...Alaska here I come!
2010 KTM 300 XCW... stop me before I buy again!
2005 KDX220... single track sweetie
2007 KTM 450 EXC... my baby
2008 KTM Superduke... Canyon Carver
1996 Honda 650L... GONE but not forgotten
http://www.friendsoftruckeetrails.org
sscooter
Supporting Member

Post by sscooter »

we'll I think I'll give that MT43 rear and S12 front a try....

If I hate the rear, Ill pass it on to one of you guys.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

sounds good. keep me in mind if you don't like it..

Piece of advice, for riding tight stuff, single track, roots, etc. keep the pressure low. Lower than you'd ever consider running a knobby. Use a HD or UHD tube, and make sure your rimlock is cranked down tight. I'll run as low as 5 or 6lbs in the tight stuff, and as much as 12 or 13 for really high speed stuff. You may want to drop your forks down in the clamps a bit, the trials tire will sit a bit higher than your knobby did.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You have probably seen this, but if not it should help. http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0 ... index.html