Stuck Clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Stuck Clutch

Post by lemmy »

My 2003 KDX220 has been sitting for almost 13months. I use 0.8L of type F in the tranny and it only had one ride on it when I last rode it. I put in new fuel, filter, and tranny fluid. Everything works fine but the clutch is really stuck. The lever has plenty of resistance, but when I put it in gear it does. I have tried rolling it off a hill while in gear and it either drags the wheel or just turns the motor over. Is there any technique I should try before taking it apart? Maybe a thinner oil or maybe more oil? The clutch has always been a bit sticky and drags a bit, but it has never been stuck this bad. Thanks.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Fire it up by bump starting it, then keep working the clutch and the throttle hard to break it free. Try 3rd gear first; get it up to speed, pull in the clutch, then hit the throttle, snapping it open/close/open/close and try and jar it free. If that doesn't work, you will have to pull it apart to separate the plates. If you need to do that, put the friction plates in an oil bath to soak a few days.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Thanks. I finally freed it up. I tightened the clutch cable as much as I could and got it up to speed and kept hitting the rear brake and then pulling in the clutch and quickly opening the throttle.

Someone told me that to keep this from happening in the future I should put something around the clutch lever to keep it pulled in. Would this work ok? It seems like it could weaken the clutch springs.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All you have to do usually is pull the clutch in with it in gear and kick it... it is usually enough to break them free. It what I had to do every morning when I rode my Triumph 750 Bonneville to work every day...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I tried pulling the clutch in and kicking it. It was REALLY stuck this time.

Is keeping the clutch lever pulled in all of the time bad for the clutch springs? I have been doing that and the clutch feels great and isn't stuck at all. Also, I use the Type F oil for the tranny, is it more likely to cause the clutch to stick than 10W40?