Oily Brake Pads

Got questions? We got answers....
exbee

Oily Brake Pads

Post by exbee »

I installed new EBC front pads on my KDX a few months back but my fork seals started to leak and by the time I got around to replacing the them my pads were thoroughly soaked in oil. When I changed the seals I cleaned the pads and disc with brake cleaner and sanded a good 1/16" off the pad surfaces. They still don't work for sh*t...no bite at all. Should I just buy new pads or can these be brought back to life some how? It seems that the oil has permeated the entire thickness of the brake material.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Buy new. You can try soaking in a solvent, but pads aren't that much....and cost a lot less than what happens when you can't stop.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Yeah, new pads. I've messed up pads before kind-of like that. Now I'm real careful to clean the disks andtime I remove a wheel. Don't want any grease, oil, brake fluid, whatever getting in the pad when I put the wheel back on.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Buy new. You can try soaking in a solvent, but pads aren't that much....and cost a lot less than what happens when you can't stop.
Or start grabbing like oil soaked car brakes do. Turn your bike into a large mouse trap. :shock:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Buy new, I had EBC on and no leaks but they still wouldn't work for sh%$. All they wanted to do was heat up and fade. Tossed them and went to OEM pads, MUCH MUCH better.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OEM... all the way.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

OEM or EBC MXS only two kinds I'll run up front and I can't tell the difference. On the back I'll run anything.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
exbee

Post by exbee »

OEM huh? I thought EBC was a good brand...but you're right rbates9, they never did work very well anyway...I won't buy another set. Thanks guys.